Five underrated “Potter” characters
We all love Harry, Ron and Hermione, but sometimes we celebrate their contributions to defeating Voldemort while forgetting some minor characters who also helped the trio along the way; a slew of magical creatures, professors, and students from every house helped Harry defeat Voldemort – here are just five of my overlooked favorites.
1. Colin Creevey: Although he was rather annoying in Chamber of Secrets, Colin Creevey did everything he could to help bring down Voldemort. Even when it was unpopular to do so, Colin believed and supported Harry’s claim that Voldemort had returned. Colin also came back to Hogwarts for the final battle and died helping Harry, which should not go unnoticed, particularly when one considers how dangerous it was for an underage Muggleborn to be in the battle.
2. Andromeda Tonks: Andromeda’s only connection to Harry and the Order is through her daughter, but she supports their efforts none the less. She gave her house to protect Harry after he leaves Privet Drive and even when she was tortured for information about Harry, Andromeda refuses to give in. She might not have known much about Harry’s plans and whereabouts, but her dedication to protecting him was undoubtedly helpful.
3. Padma and Parvati Patil: The Patil twins are not oft mentioned in discussions of the series, and they rarely make lists of favorite characters, but the Patil twins are there for Harry at every moment in the series, joining Dumbledore’s Army, fighting alongside him in the final battle, and always giving their tacit support to Harry, even when associating with him is unpopular or dangerous.
4. Madam Pomfrey: Does anyone ever thank Madam Pomfrey for helping them out every time someone loses all the bones in their arm or crashes on the quidditch pitch? Because they should. Madam Pomfrey has probably healed an injury every student in Hogwarts, and none more than Harry. Her loyalty to Hogwarts also suggests she was there to patch up everyone after the final battle.
5. Fleur Delacour: Often painted as shallow and stupid, Fleur is extremely helpful to Harry throughout the series. She rearranges her wedding plans to accommodate Harry, and participates in the advance guard that helps Harry leave Privet Drive safely. Fleur also allows Harry, Ron and Hermione to stay with her and Bill when the trio are the most wanted wizards in the world, which is both brave, and vital to Harry’s survival and triumph.