We've had quite a long absence from the air waves, but today we return with an awesome show to preview this weekend's Harry Potter Conference and Festival at Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia, PA.
In this lesson, we talk to the creative minds behind this second annual conference, Professors Karen Wendling and Patrick McCauley. Karen Wendling, Assistant Professor of Chemistry at Chestnut Hill College with a PhD in Analytical Chemistry from UNC Chapel Hill, and Patrick McCauley, Chestnut Hill Assistant Professor of Religious Studies, PhD University of Iowa, taught the course The Emergence of the Hero in the Epic Voyage as part of Chestnut Hill’s innovative Interdisciplinary Honors Program (IdHP). Harry Potter was not so much the subject of the class as it was the capstone – the glorious conclusion to a year of reading Plato, Aristotle, Shelley’s Frankenstein, Wells’s The Island of Dr Moreau, and Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. In MuggleNet Academia Episode 24, Keith and John ask our guest professors about this class, if Harry Potter worked as a foundational text for their Generation Hex students, and the remarkable consequences of the course in the Chestnut Hill community, both the college and the village.
In this lesson we discuss:
- How did the Harry Potter Conference at Chestnut Hill College come to fruition?
- What is an Interdisciplinary Honors Degree Program class, and how did Harry Potter become the centerpiece for this track study?
- What is the symbolism of Harry seeing his father across the lake in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban?
- What do you think is the advantage of reading Harry’s adventures outside of the usual English class, literature theme-and-symbol approach?
- A full listing of the great academic lectures taking place during the Harry Potter Conference
- AND SO MUCH MORE!
- BONUS: Guest post from Professor Patrick McCauley - "The Symbol of the Father in Prisoner of Azkaban"
MuggleNet Academia is a comprehensive insight into the literary thematic elements and scholastic endeavors that author JK Rowling has provided in her writings of the Harry Potter series. We look through the entire Harry Potter series for various elements in alchemy, literary components, and composition attributes, as well as available classes at universities and colleges around the world and various unique studies that are being implemented today.
To listen to the show and discover more insight into the fabulous literature of author JK Rowling, download this lesson RIGHT HERE, or head on over to iTunes. You can also listen directly from Facebook or simply click the "play" button in the image above.
Please give us a rating and review of the show on iTunes, Your feedback is very important to us.
For information on the lessons, professors, news in the academic world, or some of the great Harry Potter reference books, head on over to the MuggleNet Academia Section.
Finally, THANK YOU to all of the fans who have nominated MuggleNet Academia for the 2103 Podcast Awards. We truly appreciate your support!
Enjoy the show!
Posted by Keith
10-17-2013 at 10:05 AM