Book 2 Mistakes
- On page 4, the day of Harry's birthday, Rowling says, "and then, exactly a year ago, Hogwarts had written to Harry..." but they had actually written before Harry's eleventh birthday. He'd been receiving them before, he just never had the chance to read one. So technically he had been written to before his eleventh birthday. Thanks, Kelsey!
- On page 95, it states that Nearly Headless Nick "took several deep
breaths, and then said, in a far calmer tone, 'So what's bothering you?'"
However, on page 506 of GOF, Myrtle says that ghosts do not breathe: "When I
can't ...when I haven't...not for ages..."
- On page 102 of the American COS: "Several (freshly caught Cornish pixies) shot through the window, showering the back row with broken glass." The glass would have splintered outward, not back into the classroom.
- In COS, on page 119 of the American version, it states, "...Harry was dragging
his feet along the SECOND floor corridor to Lockhart's office. He gritted his
teeth and knocked." However, on page 141, after Mrs. Norris is found petrified
on the second floor, Lockhart urges Professor Dumbledore to use his office to
examine her, saying that it is just upstairs. That would mean that his office is
on the THIRD floor, not the second. Thanks, Christina!
- (NOTE: This mistake applies only to the US versions.) When Professor McGonagall took Harry to Professor Dumbledore's office, the
password was "lemon drop," but then in the fourth book when he's going to tell
Dumbledore about Mr. Crouch in the forest it says "...five minutes later he
was hurtling towards a stone gargoyle standing half way along an empty
corridor. 'Sher-sherbet lemon,' he panted at it. This was the password to the
hidden staircase to Dumbledore's office- or at least it had been two years ago."
- The chapter picture for "The Rogue Bludger" shows Harry's left arm deboned, but in the story, his right arm has been deboned. Thanks, Amy!
- At the end of the second book Dumbledore tells Harry that Lord Voldemort
is the last remaining ancestor of Salazar Slytherin. But it should say
that Lord Voldemort is the last remaining descendant of Salazar
- In the back of the paperback version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of
Secrets, on the last page where it gives a preview of the next book, it reads:
"Harry Potter has to sneak back to his third year at Hogwarts after
accidentally inflating his horrible Aunt Petunia." It should say he
inflated his Aunt Marge.