References to the Number 4
Return to Oddities & Coincidences
Return to The Little Things
- Harry lives with his Aunt and Uncle at Number 4 Privet Drive.
- The Dursley House has four bedrooms.
- Uncle Dursley's rations for the house on the rock in the sea were a bag of chips and four bananas.
- Ron's mother packed four sandwiches for his first trip on the Hogwart's Express.
- According to Hagrid, no more than four to a boat to get from the train station to Hogwart's.
- There are 4 houses in Hogwarts: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin, named after the school's 4 founders: Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Hufflepuff, and Salazar Slytherin
- A four legged stool is used by the first years in SS for their sorting.
- Nearly Headless Nick says he hadn't eaten in nearly four hundred years (but this is a anomaly as he has a 500th deathday party at Halloween).
- Hermione's Wingardium Leviosa spell raised her feather about four feet up from the desk.
- Harry hit the ground on all fours after nearly swallowing the snitch.
- Charlie Weasley's four friends came to get Norbert at Hogwarts.
Four balls are used in Quidditch - 2 Bludgers, one quaffle, and one golden snitch.
- The Great Hall at Hogwarts contains four long house tables.
- Harry's room in Gryffindor tower had four poster beds.
Chamber of Secrets
- An argument breaks out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
- Harry misses sleeping in his four-poster bed in the tower dormitory (among other things) when not at Hogwarts.
- Quidditch is explained as the most popular sport in the wizarding world with six tall goal posts, four flying balls, and fourteen players on broomsticks.
- Harry sympathizes with Dobby about house-elves enslavement, saying he thought he had it bad staying at the Dursley's another four weeks.
- After Harry is locked in his room after the pudding incident, he wonders if he'll even be alive in four weeks to return to Hogwarts, or if anyone will notice if he doesn't show up.
Four or five chimneys were perched on the red roof of the Burrow.
- After Harry's rescue by the twins and Ron, their four breakfast plates were clean in a surprisingly short time.
- Mrs. Weasley tried to force Harry to eat fourth helpings at every meal.
- Back at Hogwart's, innumerable candles hovered in midair over four long, crowded tables.
- The Sorting Hat sorted new students into the four Hogwarts houses every year.
Prisoner of Azkaban
- Ron's wand is fourteen inches long and made of willow.
- Dudley was eating his fourth slice of pie.
- Harry's summer homework was to write a discussion on witch burning in the fourteenth century.
Goblet of Fire
- The Riddle's cook had four sherries while relating what happened at the Riddle house.
- Harry turns fourteen.
- Harry is in his fourth year at Hogwarts.
- Harry receives four birthday cakes from Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, and Sirius.
- Dudley's tongue grows to four feet long after eating one of Fred and George's Ton-tongue toffees.
Four beds were squeezed into Ron's room for Ron, Harry, Fred and George.
- A wizard appeared in plus-fours at the Quidditch World Cup campsite.
- One of the pair of two-man tents for the Weasleys had four bunkbeds.
- Harry and Hermione go with the Weasleys to the 422nd Quidditch World Cup.
- The family of four muggles (the Roberts family) were spun in the air by the Death Eaters after the World cup.
- Mrs. Weasley buys 'The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4' for Ron, Hermione, and Harry.
- Moody is the new DADA teacher, meaning Snape has failed to get that job for the fourth year running.
- Harry is held up by Peeves trying to overturn a large vase on him halfway along the fourth-floor corridor while on his way to the Owlery.
- Moody puts Harry through the paces four times in a row until he can completely throw off the Imperious Curse.
- Harry, Ron, and Hermione stand in the fourth row in front of Hogwarts awaiting the arrival of Beauxbaton and Durmstrang.
- Filch adds four chairs to the staff table before the announcement of the Triwizard Tournament.
- The Goblet of Fire chooses four champions for the Triwizard Tournament: Viktor Krum, Fleur Delacour, Cedric Diggory, and Harry Potter
- Moody guesses someone submitted Harry's name under a fourth school to fool the Goblet of Fire.
Four summers before, on his eleventh birthday, Harry had been to Ollivander's to purchase his wand.
Four dragons are brought in for the first task (one for each champion): Swedish Short-Snout, Chinese Fireball, Common Welsh Green, and the Hungarian Horntail
- The date of the First task is November 24th.
- Harry is left with dragon number four, the Hungarian Horntail, when the champions choose their dragons from Ludo Bagman's purple silk sack.
- Karkaroff gives Harry a score of four for the first task.
- The date of the Second task is February 24th.
- The Yule ball is only open to fourth years and above (younger students may be invited).
- Hagrid tells Rita Skeeter that he has never had to tell Harry off in his four years at Hogwarts.
- Cho goes everywhere with an escort of four or five girls.
- Krum tells Hermione that Durmstrang has only four floors.
- The Prefect's bathroom is the fourth door to the left of the statue of Boris the Bewildered on the fifth floor.
- According to Hagrid, Unicorns grow horns at about the age of four.
- There are four people bound to the tail of a stone merperson to be rescued by the champions in the second task.
- With his four paws, Sirius easily climbs the mountain to his hiding place.
- The Third task takes place on June 24th.
Four Hogwart's house elves carry a great silver platter of eclairs to Ron in the kitchens.
- A gray owl lands in front of Hermione, followed by four barn owls to deliver a deluge of mail.
- Harry falls in to the pensieve and sees four people being brought into the Council of Magical Law and placed in four chained chairs for a hearing, one of whom was Barty Crouch Jr.
Four-Point Spell: points a wand due north
- Mrs. Weasley was told off by the Fat Lady for coming back to the dormitory at four in the morning when she was at school at Hogwarts.
- There are four patrollers to watch the perimeter of the maze in the third task: Moody, McGonagall, Flitwick, and Hagrid.
- The Sphinx repeated the last four lines of the riddle for Harry.
- Voldemort speaks of how four years before, Quirrell gave him the means to return.
- Ollivander wrote to Dumbledore, four years before, to inform him Harry had bought the second wand with Fawkes' tail feather.
Order of the Phoenix
- Harry lies outside number four Privet Drive in a flowerbed to listen to the news through the open window.
- For four solid weeks since he left Hogwarts, Harry felt he had been completely cut off from the magical world.
- Harry taunts Dudley that he needs four mates behind him to beat up a ten year old.
- A fourth owl came shooting out of the kitchen fireplace with a note from Sirius to Harry.
- On the fourth night after Harry sent Hedwig out for information, Uncle Vernon came in to his room to tell him they were going out.
- When the group of wizards came that night to get Harry, he was very conscious of the fact that he hadn't combed his hair in four days.
- After being confined to his room for four days, and in a very bad mood, Harry's room was a mess.
- While cleaning Grimmauld Place, a Doxy soared at Harry, it's four tiny fists clenched with fury.
- Mr. Weasley told Harry, 'Four more stops...' while taking the Underground to Harry's hearing.
- The number Mr. Weasley dialed to get into the Ministry of Magic is '...six' and 'two...four... and another four... and another two...'
- Eric, the security wizard at the Ministry, identifies Harry's wand as being in use for four years.
Four or five witches get out of the lift as several paper aeroplanes swoop in.
- 'Level Four, Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, incorporating
Beast, Being and Spirit Divisions, Goblin Liaison Office and Pest Advisory Bureau.'
- George comments on what has happened to the last four DADA teachers as being the problem with Dumbledore getting a new teacher.
- Molly Weasley celebrates Ron becoming the fourth prefect in the family.
- Ginny is now a fourth year student.
- The Sorting Hat sings " 'Together we will build and teach!' The four good friends decided" ... and of the four founders.
- .. and compares the houses to 'pillars four'
- Harry remembers that the Sorting Hat usually confines itself to describing the different qualities looked for by the four Hogwarts houses.
- Harry forgets to add syrup of hellebore to his Draught of Peace potion, and proceeds straight to the fourth line of instructions.
- While in Umbridge's detention, Harry sneaks a look at keeper tryouts, thinking the fourth person was terrible.
- After knowing Percy for four years, Harry wonders why Percy thinks him unbalanced and possible violent.
- Harry sat in a chair by his bedroom window for the best part of four hours, waiting for Dumbledore.
- Mrs. Weasley comments to Harry that she thinks Ron has grown four since she last bought him school robes.
- A group of fourth-year girls were whispering and giggling outside the Hogwart's Express compartment where Harry, Neville, and Luna were sitting.
- Tonks conjures her patronus - an immense silvery four-legged creature - to the castle to send word that she has found Harry.
- Hermione confiscates a lime-green Fanged Frisbee from a fourth year boy.
- The Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom is located four floors below the Gryffindor common room.
Four Slytherins and four Ravenclaws progressed to the N.E.W.T. level potions class.
- Professor Slughorn was raving about Harry's potions abilities by their fourth lesson (thanks to the Prince).
- Most of the fourth group trying out for the Gryffindor Quidditch team had come without brooms.
- Cormac McLaggen saved four penalties out of five while trying out for the position of Gryffindor Keeper.
- Ron saved one, two, three, four, five penalties in a row when he tried out for Keeper, but later told Hermione he thought he was going to miss the fourth one.
- When Hagrid told them about Aragog dying, Harry thought about the narrow escape he and Ron had had from the gigantic spider four years previously.
- Harry had seen the cursed necklace in Borgin and Burks four years previously.
- Professor McGonagall wanted to talk to the four of them (Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Leanne) about what had happened to Katie Bell.
- Harry lay awake in his four-poster bed wondering about his feelings for Ginny.
- During the first half hour of the Quidditch match with Gryffindor, Ginny had scored four of their six goals.
- Slughorn introduces Harry to Eldred Worple, who suggests Harry spend four or five hour sessions with him to write his biography.
- The four Heads of House shouted for quiet during the first apparition lesson in the Great Hall.
- Susan Bones splinched herself on her fourth attempt to apparate.
- Harry and Ron had to take a short cut back to the Gryffindor common room when Peeves jammed a door shut on the fourth floor.
- Tom Riddle was due at four to visit Hepzibah Smith with an offer from Mr. Burke for her goblin-made armor.
- Harry could not take his apparition test because he would not be seventeen for another four months.
- Dumbledore tells Harry that four years ago Harry had handed him proof that Voldemort had split his soul.
- Two Horcruxes are destroyed, and Dumbledore theorizes that four remain of Voldemort's seven-part soul.
- Dumbledore thinks that the Slytherin's locket and Hufflepuff's cup became Horcruxes three and four.
Four objects from the four founders would most likely appeal to Voldemort as objects for his Horcruxes.
- Harry realizes that if Gryffindor loses by more than a 100 points to Ravenclaw, they would be in fourth place for the Championship.
- Snape gives Harry detention and then taunts him with the possibility of Gryffindor in fourth place.
- Dumbledore drinks halfway through the fourth goblet of potion in the cave when he staggers and falls forward against the basin, wanting to stop.
Four people in black robes burst onto the balcony where Malfoy is threatening Dumbledore.
- Snape shouts that Harry's father would never attack him unless it was four on one.