Fan Fiction Meets YouTube!
OK, all you budding screenwriters and filmmakers, here's your big chance! For this super contest we're challenging you to make a 3 to 5 minute video depicting a scene you select from any of the seven Harry Potter books. But here's the twist: we don't want you to film the scene as it actually is written by JKR - we want you to take liberties, and re-write the scene as you would have written it! Unhappy or disappointed about how some part of the seven-book story came off? Well, here's your chance to fix it! Will it change the outcome of the whole story? Maybe...but that's up to you!
Then use your film making skills to enact your revised scene on video. Your finished video masterpiece will be viewed by a gazillion MuggleNet fans and many more on YouTube. Then our fans will vote for their favorite video on MuggleNet.com (not on YouTube). The winners of the vote will receive these terrific prizes:
A boxed, sealed set of all seven Harry Potter Books, British adult hard-cover editions. Very Rare! From Magical Tours2nd Place:
A Majestic School Robe from Alivan's Master Wandmakers3rd Place:
Your choice of any wand from Alivan's Classic or Majestic Collections
Entries must be received no later than midnight (Central USA Time) May 21, 2008!
We know you're anxious to get started on making your video, so here are the guidelines for creating your epic presentation. Read and follow these rules carefully to avoid disqualification!
- Use any digital video camera to make your 3 to 5 minute scene. Don't worry if you don't have access to a sophisticated video camera - even a basic webcam will work if that's what you have. Your video may be shorter than 3-minutes as long as you can get your story across; but DO NOT exceed 5-minutes.
- Open your video by telling everyone your first name (or your YouTube "nickname") so viewers will know whose video to vote for, and a brief "set-up" that explains exactly what scene (and from which book) you are re-inventing. You may do this opening either on camera OR in a text version (think of the opening "Star Wars crawl" for example.)
- DO NOT include any personal contact information. Just use common sense to protect your privacy. Your first name or nickname is all we need to identify you. And, of course, neither Magical Tours nor MuggleNet.Com will reveal or post your full identity or any contact information without your permission.
- Keep it clean and appropriate! All ages will be viewing your video. After all, it is about Harry Potter. Use common sense - you know what's OK and what's not. Any submission containing profanity or obscene or suggestive material will be automatically disqualified, and will not be linked to MuggleNet.Com for viewing.
- You may not re-enact any scene as it appears in any of the Harry Potter films! This is extremely important! Our friends at Warner Brothers are very particular on this point. DO NOT attempt to mimic aspects of the Harry Potter movies. This includes 1) duplicating or re-enacting specific scenes as they appear in the films, 2) copying exact costumes or sets, 3) trying to make your characters look too similar to or act like or copy mannerisms of the actors who portray the characters in the Warner Brothers movies. This is your chance to do something truly original! Don't ask for trouble, or your video will be disqualified. 'Nuff said.
- You may use costumes, sets, props, make-up, or anything within reason to make your video memorable - but just don't copy the work of others. Your friends or family members may appear in your film - even professional actors if you like. The finished product can be funny or serious; a tightly-controlled piece of perfection, or a wacked-out bit of insanity. It can be a one-person on-screen narration, or an action-filled mini-movie.
OK, when you've made and edited your video to your satisfaction (it must be in digital format), go to www.youtube.com and do the following steps EXACTLY:
(We are not setting up a community on YouTube.)
- If you do not already have a YouTube account, create one and keep your sign-in information. You will have to confirm a new account by e-mail.
- Sign in to your YouTube account and click on "Upload" and then enter the following:
- Title: "Your first name (or nickname)'s MuggleNet Contest Video"
- Description: Give your video whatever name and description you wish here.
- Video Category: "Travel and Events"
- Tags: "MuggleNet Contest"
- Then make the following selections:
- Broadcast Options:
- "Public by default" (Public Share your video with the world)
- Date and Map Options:
- Leave as: "No date or location has been set"
- Sharing Options:
- Comments: "No, don't allow comments"
- Comment Voting: "No, do not allow users to vote on comments"
- Video Responses: "No, don't allow video responses"
- Ratings: "No, don't allow this video to be rated"
- Embedding: "Yes, external sites may embed and play this video"
- Syndication: "No, this video should not be available on mobile phones and TV"
- Then click on "Upload" to load your video.
- Wait until your video processes. When processing is complete view your video to check to see if it uploaded properly. (If it didn't, remove it and try again.)
- A URL will be shown in the address line. Highlight it and Copy it. (Be sure to get the entire address!)
- Write an e-mail from your e-mail address to MuggleNetContest08@gmail.com. Subject: "[your first name or nickname]'s Contest Video". In the e-mail body Paste the YouTube URL you copied previously. No added commentary, please. (Use an e-mail address where we can actually contact you. We may have to get in touch with you. If we can't do it, you're wasting everyone's time!)
- Send your e-mail to MuggleNetContest08@gmail.com . We will send you a reply when your video is received and viewed to be sure it uploaded properly.
After previewing all videos, all the ones approved for posting will appear for voting on MuggleNet.Com. Our fans will be invited to vote for their favorites on MuggleNet.Com (votes are not allowed on YouTube according to contest rules and YouTube video set-up). The result of the voting will determine the winners.
Be sure to have your video on YouTube AND the link address sent to us not later than midnight (Central USA Time) on May 21st, 2008!
Voting will begin on Thursday, May 22nd through Midnight (Central Time) Saturday, May 24th. Winners will be announced on MuggleNet.Com on Sunday, May 25th, 2008.
One last note: Please don't get disqualified because you failed to follow these instructions to the letter !
GOOD LUCK! AND HAVE FUN!