Born as David Wheeler in 1963, David Thewlis was the son of Maureen and Alec Wheeler, who owned a toy shop. Initially, he came to London to pursue a career with his punk band, Door 66. However, he began studying acting at the Guildhall School of Drama instead.
Although he has been active in films and television since the 1980s, his breakout role in Naked in 1993 earned him international acclaim and numerous awards, including Best Actor at the Cannes Film Festival. In 2008, he received the Richard Harris award for Outstanding Contribution to British Film at the British Independent Film Awards.
He was once married to actress/director Sara Sugarman. He also had a long-term relationship with actress Anna Friel, with whom he has one daughter, Gracie.IMDb Filmography
- Role Call: Fairy tale edition! - After our adventures at LeakyCon in Florida this last week and meeting some of the "Harry Potter" cast, the staff at MuggleNet is even more excited about upcoming projects by our favorite actors and actresses! There's a lot to cover from the past few weeks, and we hope that you'll be just as anxious to hear all about the new roles our HP alumni have taken on. Take a look!
- Role Call: Veela Love Story, All Hail Queen Narcissa! - In this week's Role Call, we find out how Narcissa Malfoy became queen, find Ollivander performing for charity, and how squib Filch wormed his way up to Professor status - All this and more in Casting News!
Thewlis appeared in Prisoner of Azkaban, Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows, Parts I and II.
He has famously said that he followed director Cuarón’s advice to play Lupin as “a gay junkie,” although his interpretation of the character changed once it was revealed that his character would have a relationship with Nymphadora Tonks. Thewlis’s then-girlfriend, Anna Friel, wanted to audition for the role, but the part went to Natalia Tena.
In 2007, Thewlis released his first book, The Late Hector Kipling, a comedic novel about a famous painter. The novel was published by Simon and Schuster, and it received favorable reviews from Publisher’s Weekly and Kirkus Reviews. Actor Billy Connolly raved about it:
David Thewlis has written an extraordinarily good novel that is not only brilliant in its own right but which stands proudly beside his work as an actor, no mean boast. He is the epitome of the true Renaissance man. A hero of mine.
- His role in Seven Years in Tibet resulted in a ban from entering China.
- When he went to register for the actors’ union, there was already someone with the name “David Wheeler,” so he adopted his mother’s maiden name instead.
- He was in two bands, QED and Door 66.
- He met his ex-girlfriend Anna Friel on a flight to Cannes.
- He is often mistaken for actor Rhys Ifans, who plays Xenophilius Lovegood in the Harry Potter series.
Connect with David
Connect with David
Julian Belfrage Associates
14 New Burlington Street
London W1S 3BQ