Domhnall Gleeson is an Irish actor, writer, and director, born on May 12, 1983, to actor Brendan Gleeson and his wife, Mary, and is the oldest of four children, all who work within the entertainment industry as either actors, writers, or directors. He has enjoyed a varied career, with roles on stage, in television and film, as well as behind the lens. He earned a Tony award for his Broadway portrayal of Davey in Martin McDonagh’s The Lieutenant of Inishmore in 2006, starred in several television series, and had a role in the Coen Brothers remake of True Grit. Perhaps most associated with the Harry Potter fandom as Bill Weasley, there is more to this actor than just the Weasley name. In 2013, Domhnall took center stage in his first romantic lead role starring opposite Rachel McAdams in the Richard Curtis film, About Time.
- Domhnall Gleeson receives IFTA nomination for role in “Frank” - Domhnall Gleeson is nominated for an IFTA for "Frank"! Plus, find out which upcoming film he might be joining!
- Role Call: Trailers, tales, and theaters! - It's taken us a bit of time to recover from the fun of our Expo Patronum event in London, but we're back! This week, we learn about a slew of new stage roles, get our hands on a few trailers, and continue our efforts to find out exactly which character Domhnall Gleeson will be portraying in the new "Star Wars"! Read on for all the scoop on the latest roles for our favorite cast members!
Domhnall was cast in the role of Bill Weasley for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 in late 2009. The actor was no stranger to film or stage, having already been nominated for a Tony Award in 2006 for his portrayal of Davey in The Lieutenant of Inishmore, starred in several television series, and had a role in the Coen brothers remake of True Grit.
In an interview for About Time, his first romantic leading man role post-Potter, Domhnall reveals what he thinks earned him the role of Bill:
I got very lucky with Harry Potter. I got that role because [he giggles] I’m a ginger! Red hair was my only qualification! I was a Weasley waiting for a role.
Both Domhnall and his father, actor Brendan Gleeson, created and participated in Immaturity for Charity, which plays host to a number of comedic video sketches to benefit St. Francis Hospice in Raheny, Dublin. They have raised over €65,000 for the charity and want to do more, with your help. You can watch the appeal for donations from Domhnall below, and don’t forget to watch the sketches and donate here!
Learn more about the charity on their Facebook page.
Did you know…?
- Domhnall earned a degree in media arts from the Dublin Institute of Technology.
- He was named as one of European films’ Shooting Stars by European Film Promotion in 2011.
- Domhnall was nearly unrecognizable in his role as Levin in 2012’s Anna Karenina – in addition to his long hair, Domhnall wore a bushy beard!
- He starred in a Irish comedy sketch special called Your Bad Self.
- In 2013, Domhnall won the Irish Film & Television Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in film for his role in Anna Karenina.
Connect with Domhnall Gleeson
Connect with Domhnall Gleeson
Fan Mail Address:
The Agency Red Letter Film Agency Ltd.
9 Upper Fitzwilliam St
If you want to request an autograph, follow the guidelines bellow. If you just want to mail a letter with the address above and do not want anything back, then you can stop reading! If you live in Ireland, send a properly stamped and self-addressed envelope (minimum size 8.5″ x 4″) with your request letter and a photo. You can include a piece of cardboard to keep the photo from bending in shipping and also add “Do Not Bend” on the envelopes. Send your letter and wait. Response time is varied and not guaranteed. If you do not live in Ireland, add several International Reply Coupons. The International Reply Coupons (IRC) will be used by the receiver to purchase Irish stamps. You can only get them at your post office. Place the IRCs into the envelope, not on it.