Evanna Lynch (born August 16, 1991) is an Irish actress, from Termonfeckin, County Louth, Ireland. She has two sisters and one brother, with her parents being Donal and Marguerite Lynch. Evanna attended Cartown National School, and later the Centre for the Talented Youth of Ireland, where she completed a three-week “Speculative Fiction” course. In 2008, she returned to CTYI for her last year, attending a Drama course for three weeks. Evanna had only acted in school plays before her film career began. For the future, she wishes to continue acting, but someday become a director.
- Social Roundup: Eggs, Blues, Purples, and Facts! - In this week's Social Roundup, J.K. Rowling launches Lumos USA, Easter takes place, and MuggleNet Live! inches closer.
- Social Roundup: Superfans - This week has been all about the fans and the "Harry Potter" fandom on social media. The week kicked off with Tom Felton’s BBC Three documentary, "Tom Felton Meets the Superfans", which featured interviews with J.K. Rowling, Daniel Radcliffe, and Rupert Grint, as well as several Potter superfans that Tom met along the way.
She began her acting career in 2007 with her role as Luna Lovegood in the last four Harry Potter films. Evanna was known as one of the biggest Potter fans on the set of the films and has been a fan of the series since she was eight years old. By originally learning about the open audition for Luna through MuggleNet, she competed against nearly 15,000 other girls. On January 23, 2006, Evanna discovered she won the coveted role and eventually became a main character in the final two films.
On auditioning for the role of Luna:
I really wanted to go, because if I didn’t I never would have known, and I’d have been annoyed with myself. They had to pick someone, so why couldn’t I have a go? It’s like in the script, when Harry’s trying to encourage some students to be in Dumbledore’s Army, he says, ‘Think of all the great wizards in history, and if they can do it, why can’t we?’ It was kind of like that.
After she received the role:
I had to keep it quiet for days and pretend everything was normal which was hard considering my dream had just come true. When I went home that day I had to study for my French test as if everything was normal.
After meeting Evanna, J.K. Rowling commented that she was perfect for the role of Luna. David Heyman has also has stated, “Evanna Lynch is Luna.”
Evanna has helped promote the organization Multiple Sclerosis Society of Ireland over the years; most notably in 2010, she launched their MS Readathon fundraiser. She also has ongoing involvement in the Harry Potter Alliance, of which she is a member of the Board of Advisors. Evanna was a part of the livestream for Helping Haiti Heal campaign, as well as in 2011 wrote a guest blog post for the Body Bind Horcrux campaign about overcoming media’s negative body image. The actress has also spoke out on the issue of self-esteem.
- Evanna has continued to be good friends with her Potter cast members; she has done online work in Jessie Cave‘s web series Flat Whites, plus five other Pindippy videos.
- Her most notable work after Potter was G.B.F.
- By combining her love for the franchise and cats, Evanna has named three of her cats Luna, Dumbledore, and Crookshanks.
- Evanna has been known to attend the fan convention LeakyCon; previously she has been seen at the 2011, 2012, and London 2013 events. She interacts with the fans through meet and greets, Q&As, and wizard rock concerts.
- At LeakyCon 2012, Evanna performed in Team StarKid‘s famous A Very Potter 3D: A Very Potter Senior Year, the final installment of their Potter musical series, as her movie role Luna Lovegood with a StarKid spin to the role.
- For the Potter movies, Evanna made her character’s earrings, plus a ring. The lion hat that she wears in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was designed by Evanna as well.
Connect with Evanna Lynch
Connect with Evanna Lynch