Helena Bonham Carter was born in London in 1966. She started acting in commercials at age 16, but soon began working in film and television. When she was 20 she starred in her first leading role, playing Jane Grey in Lady Jane.
Her breakout role was Kate Croy in The Wings of the Dove (1997). She received Oscar, Golden Globe, BAFTA, and SAG award nominations for this role. Following this, she went on to play such iconic roles as Marla Singer in Fight Club, Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd, and Madame Thenardier in Les Misérables. She also received an Oscar nomination for her performance in The King’s Speech in 2010.
Bonham Carter met her partner, Tim Burton, during the filming of Planet of the Apes. The two have been together since 2001 and have two children, Billy Ray and Nell. They live in adjoining homes in London.IMDb Filmography
- Emma Watson to receive BAFTA Los Angeles award - Emma Watson is set to receive a BAFTA Los Angeles award in November for British Artist of the Year. Find out more here.
- Social Roundup: Always - The Potter family was all over one another this week, so we rounded up all their tweets and Instagrams for your delight in the latest Potter social roundup.
Bonham Carter played Bellatrix in the latter four movies; in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2, she portrayed Hermione impersonating Bellatrix while Emma Watson provided her voice.
Her version of the character makes a strong impact on audiences despite her relative lack of screen time, and she was instrumental in shaping the way Bellatrix appears in the films:
Bellatrix has really good fun, and she’s been a bit of surprise to me, in fact…It wasn’t really there on the page. When I took it on, I found there wasn’t a huge amount to go by in the script, and I read the book and she wasn’t necessarily on the page there either, so I did ask [four-time "Potter" film director]David Yates if I could bring a bit of other things or are these the Bibles? And he said yes, certainly, and apparently J.K. Rowling was very pleased with it when she saw it, and the childish dimension and the fact that she’s totally savage, that was a bit of departure. — Interview with Los Angeles Times
Bonham Carter has often talked about the mixture of “revolting and sexy” that makes Bellatrix such a memorable character. Her efforts to ramp up Bellatrix’s insanity have led to her reputation as a scene-stealer in the Harry Potter films.
She has been featured on the soundtracks of movies such as Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Les Misérables, and The Corpse Bride.
Additionally, she has worked in modeling campaigns for designers such as Marc Jacobs, with whom she collaborated in 2011.
- Helena has many famous relatives, including her great-grandfather Herbert H. Asquith, a former Prime Minister; great-uncle Anthony Asquith, who directed The Importance of Being Earnest; and grandfather Eduardo Propper de Callejón, who was recognized by Israel for saving Jews during World War II. She is also a distant cousin of Kate Middleton.
- She used her winnings from a poetry contest to enter herself in an English casting directory, thus launching her acting career.
- She attended Westminster school in London.
- She was once in a relationship with Kenneth Branagh, who played Gilderoy Lockart.
- She is good friends with Johnny Depp, who is the godfather of her son with Tim Burton.
- She is fluent in French
- She is known for her quirky sense of style and cites Vivian Westwood and Marie Antoinette as her influences.
Connect with Helena
Connect with Helena
"A THERAPY" A Short Film By: Roman Polanski
Directed by Roman Polanski, Starring Helena Bonham Carter, Ben Kingsley
Screenplay Roman Polanski and Ronald Harwood
Music Alexandre Desplat
Production Designer Dean Tavoularis
Director of Photography Eduardo Serra
Editor Hervé de Luze
Executive Producer Max Brun
Produced by Hi! Production and R.P. Productions
308 Helena Bonham Carter on Craig Ferguson Full HD Interview
Helena Bonham Carter Interview - Great Expectations
Hilary Oliver interviews Helena Bonham Carter who plays Miss Havisham for Great Expectations directed by Mike Newell.
Harry Potter an the Deathly Hallows Interview - Part 1 - Helena Bonham Carter
Our friend Hilary Oliver interviews the legendary Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange) for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.