Matthew David Lewis born on June 27, 1989 in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England hails from an entertainment industry family. His brother Chris is a television editor, and his brother Anthony is a well-known actor and musician. Matt started acting at the age of five, appearing in several television commercials, and eventually made his way into the film industry by playing Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter films. He attended St. Mary’s Comprehensive School in Menston, where he studied for A-levels in psychology, theology, law, and English language. In his spare time, Matt enjoys reading, sports, video games, and listening to guitar rock. He is also an avid rugby and football fan.
- Social Roundup: Superfans - This week has been all about the fans and the "Harry Potter" fandom on social media. The week kicked off with Tom Felton’s BBC Three documentary, "Tom Felton Meets the Superfans", which featured interviews with J.K. Rowling, Daniel Radcliffe, and Rupert Grint, as well as several Potter superfans that Tom met along the way.
- Matt Lewis joins brother Anthony Lewis for acting masterclass - Last week, Matt Lewis, along with his brother Anthony, visited the Grammar School at Leeds (GSaL). At the school the brothers hosted workshops and taught pupils about preparing for auditions.
Matthew, known as one of the “Big 7,” was cast in the Potter films when he was eleven years old. For his role as Neville Longbottom, Matthew wore yellow and crooked false teeth, a fat suit, shoes two sizes too big, and had plastic bits placed behind his ears in order to make them stick out more. Matthew has spoken out against this treatment in interviews, claiming that while it no longer bothers him, having to take on a purposefully unattractive appearance on a film set full of attractive girls his age whilst going through puberty was “rubbish.” On portraying Neville, Matthew has stated:
I was so focused on getting it exactly how she [J.K. Rowling] imagined it in her head. And a couple times I spoke to her at premiers and she came to the studio and said, you know, I’m doing it right. It’s exactly how she wanted it.
Matthew’s leading charity efforts go towards the Leeds Rugby Foundation, of which he is Vice President. The charity works “with a whole range of individuals, imparting important lifestyle messages to help them to make positive changes to their own lives.” Other philanthropy work has been done with Walk of Smiles, Yorkshire Cancer Research, and Sport Relief.
- Matthew’s most well-known role outside of the Potter series is The Syndicate (2012).
- He has also tried his hand at theater with the tour stage production of Agatha Christie’s Verdict (2011) and his West End debut in Our Boys (2012).
- During the filming of Order of the Phoenix, Helena Bonham-Carter accidentally ruptured Matthew’s eardrum when she stuck her wand in his ear.
- While filming a scene with the Sword of Godric Gryffindor in Deathly Hallows – Part 2, Matthew almost injured someone when the prop’s blade separated from the hilt, flew into the air, and landed near a group of extras.
- He likes to play cricket.
- Matthew is a huge Beatles fan and can recite multiple facts at the drop of a hat. His favorite song of theirs is “In My Life”; he believes Neville’s favorite Beatles song would be “With a Little Help from My Friends.”
Connect with Matthew Lewis
Connect with Matthew Lewis