Matthew David Lewis born on June 27, 1989 in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England hails from an entertainment industry family. His brother Chris is a television editor, and his brother Anthony is a well-known actor and musician. Matt started acting at the age of five, appearing in several television commercials, and eventually made his way into the film industry by playing Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter films. He attended St. Mary’s Comprehensive School in Menston, where he studied for A-levels in psychology, theology, law, and English language. In his spare time, Matt enjoys reading, sports, video games, and listening to guitar rock. He is also an avid rugby and football fan.
- Social Roundup: A Fashion to the Death - From Fashion Week to Scottish Independence, it's all going down in the Social Roundup this week! Have a read now.
- Social Roundup: Always - The Potter family was all over one another this week, so we rounded up all their tweets and Instagrams for your delight in the latest Potter social roundup.
I was so focused on getting it exactly how she [J.K. Rowling] imagined it in her head. And a couple times I spoke to her at premiers and she came to the studio and said, you know, I’m doing it right. It’s exactly how she wanted it.
- Matthew’s most well known role out side of the the Potter series is The Syndicate (2012).
- He has also tried his hand at theater with the tour stage production of Agatha Christie’s Verdict (2011) and his West End debut in Our Boys (2012).
- During the filming of Order of the Phoenix Helena Bonham-Carter accidentally ruptured Lewis’s eardrum when she stuck her wand in his ear.
- While filming a scene with the Sword of Godric Gryffindor in Deathly Hallows – Part 2, Matthew almost injured someone when the prop’s blade separated from the hilt, flew into the air, and landed near a group of extras.
- He likes to play cricket.
- Matthew is a huge Beatles fan and can recite multiple facts at the drop of a hat. His favorite song of theirs is “In My Life”; he believes Neville’s favorite Beatles song would be “With a Little Help from My Friends”.