Born in 1967, Toby Jones comes from a family of creatives: both his parents and his brother Casper are actors, while his brother Rupert is a director. He appeared on screen alongside his father, Freddie Jones, in Ladies in Lavender.
He studied theatre in England at the University of Manchester and in France at L’École Internationale de Théâtre Jacques Lecoq before starting his career on stage. Since then, he has gone on to act in numerous films and television programs. Some of his most notable roles include Claudius Templesmith in The Hunger Games, Swifty Lazar in Frost/Nixon, and the Dream Lord in the episode of Doctor Who, “Amy’s Choice.”
He is well-known for his talents as a character actor, and although he has appeared in dozens of films, he has won few major awards. However, his portrayal of Alfred Hitchcock in the television movie The Girl earned him Golden Globe and Emmy award nominations, and he won a British Independent Film Award for his role in Berberian Sound Studio.
He has two daughters, Madeleine and Holly, with his wife Karen.
- “Harry Potter” alumni nominated for 2015 Critics’ Choice Awards - Awards season is here, and plenty of "Harry Potter" alumni have been nominated for the 2015 Critics' Choice Awards! Find out who the nominees are!
- Role Call: The Woman in Black….is back! - We finally get our greedy eyes on some set photos from "Dad's Army", get a peek at Domhnall in "Unbroken", and just in time for Halloween, we also get to throw our hands up in front of our faces as we try to hide from "The Woman in Black" sequel! All that and more in this week's Casting News!
Toby is the voice actor behind Dobby the House Elf. He appears in Chamber of Secrets as well as in Deathly Hallows – Part 1. He also reprised his role as the voice of Dobby in the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 video game.
Toby claims that he wasn’t a fan of Harry Potter when he was cast, but he read the books and quickly grew to know and love the series:
I was aware that Harry Potter was a big deal, but the movies hadn’t quite become the phenomenon that they are now…When I told people I was going to be doing the movie and the voice of Dobby, they were kind of awestruck, the people who knew about Harry Potter. I felt rather guilty that I didn’t really understand the scale of the job I was about to take on. Now, I am well aware of what I’m doing, and actually, it feels a very serious acting responsibility.
– Interview with Los Angeles Times
Aside from his film and television career, Toby is also a successful stage actor. His credits include:
- The Play What I Wrote (West End/Broadway)
- Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (National Theatre)
- Parlour Song (Almeida Theatre)
- The First Domino (Brighton Fringe Festival)
- Toby attended school with actor Tom Hollander and several members of the band Radiohead.
- He appeared in the film Naked with David Thewlis, who plays Remus Lupin.
- Alongside Hamish McColl and Sean Foley, he performs in the theatre company The Right Size.
- His portrayal of Truman Capote in Infamous was overshadowed by Philip Seymour Hoffman’s performance as the same character in Capote during the same year.
- He claims his daughters are not fans of his movies.
Connect with Toby Jones
Connect with Toby Jones
Fan Mail Address:
4 Great Portland Street
London W1W 8PA