Matthew David Lewis born on June 27, 1989 in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England hails from an entertainment industry family. His brother Chris is a television editor, and his brother Anthony is a well-known actor and musician. Matt started acting at the age of five, appearing in several television commercials, and eventually made his way into the film industry by playing Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter films. He attended St. Mary’s Comprehensive School in Menston, where he studied for A-levels in psychology, theology, law, and English language. In his spare time, Matt enjoys reading, sports, video games, and listening to guitar rock. He is also an avid rugby and football fan.
- Social Roundup: Birthdays, Puppies, and Heights! - In this week's social roundup, we meet some cute animals, scale heights, and celebrate birthdays.
- Social Roundup: Just how busy is Emma Watson? - Jessie Cave continues her fascinating journey through motherhood, Emma Watson proves just how busy she really is and the HP family welcomes a particularly cute member. It's time for this week's Social Roundup.
Matthew, known as one of the “Big 7,” was cast in the Potter films when he was eleven years old. For his role as Neville Longbottom, Matthew wore yellow and crooked false teeth, a fat suit, shoes two sizes too big, and had plastic bits placed behind his ears in order to make them stick out more. Matthew has spoken out against this treatment in interviews, claiming that while it no longer bothers him, having to take on a purposefully unattractive appearance on a film set full of attractive girls his age whilst going through puberty was “rubbish.” On portraying Neville, Matthew has stated:
I was so focused on getting it exactly how she [J.K. Rowling] imagined it in her head. And a couple times I spoke to her at premiers and she came to the studio and said, you know, I’m doing it right. It’s exactly how she wanted it.
Matthew’s leading charity efforts go toward the Leeds Rugby Foundation, of which he is Vice President. The charity works “with a whole range of individuals, imparting important lifestyle messages to help them to make positive changes to their own lives.” Other philanthropy work has been done with Walk of Smiles, Yorkshire Cancer Research, and Sport Relief.
Matthew Lewis and some of his castmates also raise money every summer by having a Gryffindor versus Slytherin cricket match at the David Holmes Cricket Cup. The David Holmes Cricket Cup began in the summer of 2009 to raise money for the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH).
- Matthew’s most well-known role outside of the Potter series is The Syndicate (2012).
- He has also tried his hand at theater with the tour stage production of Agatha Christie’s Verdict (2011) and his West End debut in Our Boys (2012).
- During the filming of Order of the Phoenix, Helena Bonham-Carter accidentally ruptured Matthew’s eardrum when she stuck her wand in his ear.
- While filming a scene with the Sword of Godric Gryffindor in Deathly Hallows – Part 2, Matthew almost injured someone when the prop’s blade separated from the hilt, flew into the air, and landed near a group of extras.
- He likes to play cricket.
- Matthew is a huge Beatles fan and can recite multiple facts at the drop of a hat. His favorite song of theirs is “In My Life”; he believes Neville’s favorite Beatles song would be “With a Little Help from My Friends.”