William “Will” Miles Dunn was born on May 26, 1996 and grew up in Hampshire with his parents.
Will is a keen musician and has posted videos of himself playing guitar on YouTube. He likes hanging out with his mates and chilling out. He has described himself as mad “in the good way.” His favorite band is Muse.
Will has had a handful of acting roles. In 2011, Will appeared in a short film called My Song, in which he played the character Jack. The film premiered on Film4 and the Community Channel on May 23, 2011. Will has filmed a role in a student film, Zeus, in which he played the main role, James.
In 2011, Will also appeared at LeakyCon.
- Social Roundup: Back to Hogwarts - It's September, and what does that mean in the wizarding world? Time to return to Hogwarts of course, for all those young witches and wizards.
- What do leading Potter fandom figures and cast think about Fantastic Beasts? - It has been six days since J.K. Rowling broke the news that shocked the entire Harry Potter fandom - she was going to be writing a screenplay for a brand new Warner Brothers film series based in the wizarding world! Clearly, we are very excited about the news, so we decided to reach out to some of our friends, fandom icons, and Harry Potter cast members - Joe Moses, Rohan Gotobed, Hank Green, and Will Dunn - to get their reactions.
Will Dunn was picked to play James Sirius Potter, the oldest of Harry and Ginny’s children, for the epilogue in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2. This was Will’s first professional role. Will describes what his experience filming for the role was like on his Tumblr page:
“Incredible! I couldn’t really believe I’d started off acting in such an amazing way, and that I was a part of it… it was very surreal, but great at the same time.”
Daniel Radcliffe spoke about the casting of Will as his son in an interview before the final film was released:
“He reminded me a lot of me when I met him in the auditions. I think that’s why I was like “he has to be one of my kids!” Even though he’s not as pale as I am but he has this… he’s very chatty, he’s fourteen… kind of like how I think I am – very bright but not academic. he had a lot of trouble at school. Not trouble but, you know, school wasn’t easy for him, like it wasn’t for me. And he’s super bright, a really smart kid, so that was great to have him as my son.
- Will was a huge Harry Potter fan prior to his casting.
- He is the oldest of all the kids in the epilogue, at 13/14. The youngest was 9.
- He had his 14th birthday as they were filming.
- He’d love to be on Broadway or the West End one day.
- His favorite Potter movie and book is either the first or the last.
- The role of James Sirius Potter was his first ever role. He auditioned from February to April 2010 to get the role. They filmed in May.
- Since filming the role, in 2010, Will has kept in touch with all the other Potter kids, as well as Evanna Lynch, Bonnie Wright, and Chris Rankin.
- Will loved having an owl and getting to be on Platform 9 3/4 and the Hogwarts Express.
- His favorite band is Muse, and Matt Bellamy is one of his idols.
- Will is also a football fan and supports Portsmouth.
- Will played Joseph in a school production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Before getting the Potter role, he was in a Youth Theatre.
- Will has wanted to be an actor since he was 9 or 10.