Rosmerta's Recipes - Bangers and Mash
Recipe and Photo courtesy of Dinah Bucholz author of
The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook
copyright 2010 Adams Media
The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook Website
Prior to the first meeting of Dumbledore's Army, Harry eats Bangers and Mash for dinner. (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Chapter 16)Ingredients for Bangers:
Ingredients for Mashed Potatoes:
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork or beef
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter or marjorine
Ingredients for Onion Gravy:
- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions for the Bangers:Step 1: Combine all of the ingredients except for the 2 tablespoons of butter or marjorine in a large mixing bowl and mix well.Step 2: Heat the butter or marjorine in a skillet.Step 3: Form the meat into sausage shapes and fry on each side over medium-high heat, turning often, until the sausages are well browned.Step 4: Transfer the sausages to a paper-towel-lined plate.Step 5: Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt to taste (this will need to be adjusted to the saltiness of the broth)
Directions for the Mashed Potatoes:
Step 1: Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water.
Step 2: Bring water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer about 25 minutes or until the poatoes break apart when pierced with a fork.
Step 3: Drain the potatoes. Add the salt, butter, milk or half-and-half, and black pepper.
Step 4: Mash with a potato masher until the potatoes are light and fluffy.
Directions for the Onion Gravy:
Step 1: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
Step 2: Add the onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden, about 30 minutes.
Step 3: Add the flour and stir until smooth.
Step 4: Add the chicken broth.
Step 5: Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbling.
Step 6: Taste the gravy and add salt, if necessary
Place 3 or 4 sausages on a plate. Mound the mashed potatoes on the side, and spoon generous amounts of onion gravy over the whole lot.
Back to Rosmerta's Recipe List