“The Three Broomsticks” is the place for the most up-to-date opinions, analysis, and theories from our in-house editorialist, hpboy13! He tackles the toughest questions in the Potter fandom. Ever wondered if Harry Potter qualifies as a feminist text? Or whether Ron or Hermione was a better friend to Harry? Pull up a chair in the Three Broomsticks, grab a butterbeer, and see what Irvin has to say on these contentious topics!
- Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Repeating the Potter Series (November 21, 2017) - Pure-blood supremacy, the Deathly Hallows, and potential werewolves: Might the new "Fantastic Beasts" films be disappointingly similar to "Potter?"
- Redrawing the Map of Wizarding Europe (November 9, 2017) - Ever wonder why wizard and Muggle national borders differ? hpboy13 explores the in-depth history and geography of the wizarding world!
- Hippolytus… Lestrange? (November 1, 2017) - If Newt's brother is named Theseus, how might the myth of Theseus and Hippolyta foreshadow what will happen in the upcoming "Fantastic Beasts" films?
- The Dying of the Red Moon (October 4, 2017) - There are Dramione and Luneville, but what about the Red Moon? hpboy13 argues that a Luna/Ron ship is not one that sails.
- The Yew Wand (August 17, 2017) - If a wand's allegiance changes when it is defeated, then who is the master of Voldemort's wand now? Hpboy13 explores the question of one of the most powerful wands in the wizarding world.
- Where Newt Got His Memory-Wiping Idea (July 15, 2017) - We all know that Rowling tends to hide foreshadowing where we least expect it. Could a Pottermore entry about Quidditch history have a connection to Newt's memory-wiping in "Fantastic Beasts?"
- State of the Fandom: MISTI-Con 2017 (May 31, 2017) - Fan conventions are the perfect place to gauge the state of fandom. hpboy13 reflects on the HP fandom based on observations from MISTI-Con 2017.
- Lord Voldemort’s Happy Ending (May 2, 2017) - We know Voldemort wanted power and the ability to live forever. But what if there was something else he wanted, too? hpboy13 takes a look at what is possibly Voldemort's deepest motivation and ambition.
- Borgin, Burke, and the Half-Blood Prince (April 20, 2017) - hpboy13 once again blows our minds by pointing out some serious foreshadowing - this time with how the items at Borgin and Burkes give us clues to what goes down in "Half-Blood Prince".
- The Foreshadowing of Borgin and Burkes (April 17, 2017) - Here's a theory: What if the objects Harry sees in Borgin and Burkes foreshadow events in the rest of the series?
If you’ve enjoyed hpboy13’s essays over the years, please consider supporting him on Patreon so he can continue writing them!