Five things you should know about Tonks
We were very excited to be able to announce that Nat Tena, who potrayed Tonks in the Harry Potter films, would be attending MuggleNet Live! in a few weeks. To celebrate, here are some facts about Tonks, the scatty, loveable Hufflepuff whom everyone loves.
- Becoming an Auror is notoriously difficult, and we learn from Professor McGonagall that Tonks is one of the last Aurors to be taken on by the ministry (prior to Harry, who becomes an Auror after the Battle of Hogwarts). Despite being clumsy, Tonks is clearly a talented witch.
- Although she never uses it – and hates anyone else using it – Tonks’s first name is Nymphadora. This is a Greek name, meaning “gift of the nymphs.” In Greek mythology, nymphs are female spirits who can change their shape.
- The meaning of her first name is especially relevant to Tonks since she is able to change her shape and form at will. This is called a Metamorphmagus and in the Harry Potter world, is extremely rare. “Meta” means change, “morph” means shape, and “magus” means magic. Tonks passes this talent onto her son, Teddy Lupin.
- Tonks’s relationship with Remus Lupin develops as they both work for the Order of the Phoenix. Tonks reveals her feelings for Remus when they are on a mission for the Order, telling him that,
you’d know perfectly well who[m] I’ve fallen for, if you weren’t too busy feeling sorry for yourself.
- Tonks marries Remus in northern Scotland, using witnesses from a local wizarding tavern. Not long later, Tonks falls pregnant.
What’s your favorite thing about Tonks? Let us know in the comments!
Don’t forget, you can see Nat Tena, plus plenty more very special guests, at MuggleNet Live! in April. Get your tickets here.