Rupert Grint was born on August 24, 1988 in Essex, England. He has four younger siblings – James, Georgina, Samantha, and Charlotte – and first developed an interest in theater while attending the Dorothy Stringer High School. He performed in multiple productions, and some of his earliest roles were as a fish in Noah’s Ark and as part of the chorus of Cinderella.
Often cited by critics as the most talented of the Potter trio, Rupert has acted steadily on film and stage since finishing his work on the Harry Potter films.
- Alumni Roundup: Welcome to Hufflepuff, Rupert! - Welcome to a special edition of the Alumni Roundup, featuring some of the highlights from this weekend's A Celebration of Harry Potter in Orlando.
- A Celebration of Harry Potter Day 1 Highlights! - Wow, it's already been a busy weekend at the "Harry Potter" celebration in Orlando, and we're only a day into the event! See our highlights from the first day of festivities, including displays by MinaLima, Pottermore, Scholastic - and more!
Rupert portrayed Ron Weasley in all eight Harry Potter movies, and voiced the character in the video game adaptations of films 5-8. Rupert has been honored with many award nominations for his performance as Ron, and won both the Satellite Outstanding New Talent Award and the Young Artist Most Promising Newcomer Award for his debut in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. He also won the People’s Choice Award for Favorite Ensemble Movie Cast in 2012, and was honored alongside co-stars Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson.
He has said of beginning work on the Harry Potter films:
Walking into the Great Hall for the first time was absolutely incredible. All these effects with all the candles floating in the air, all lit and everything, food on the table, all the flambeaus were lit—it was just incredible, it was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen in my life.
Auditioning for Harry Potter was Rupert’s first foray into professional acting, and his now-famous audition tape featured him rapping about how much he wanted the role of Ron Weasley. His efforts successfully scored him a meeting with the film’s casting directors, and the rest is history!
Rupert has often said that he is a lot like his character. After filming on the last movie ended, he stated:
I have always felt this quite close connection to Ron even before the films. After ten years playing the same guy kind of everyday I think you do kind of naturally morph into them. We’ve become this kind of Ron-pert thing, which I think will stay with me for a while. I think they’ll always be a bit of Ron in me for the rest of my life.
Rupert, like many of his Potter co-stars, has frequently contributed to charities over the years. Some of the causes he has supported include Comic Relief, the Teenage Cancer Trust, The Prince’s Trust, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Theater Aid, and multiple fundraising events for various charitable organizations.
Since landing the role of Ron Weasley, Rupert has had starring roles in many films including Driving Lessons, Charlie Countryman, and CBGB.
In October 2013, Rupert made his stage debut in the role of Sweets in the stage play Mojo.
- Rupert enjoys collecting weird antiques, and his collection includes items like an artificial limb from the Victorian era with three different hand attachments.
- Rupert, like Ron, has arachnophobia – he’s scared of spiders!
- He finished school at the age of 16 to focus on his work in Harry Potter.
- When director Alfonso Cuarón assigned Rupert, Dan, and Emma an essay to help them get into character, Rupert neglected to turn his in because “it’s what Ron would have done.”
- Rupert owns his own ice cream truck, a purchase honoring his childhood dream of becoming an ice cream man. He even brought it to the last day of filming on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- On the set of Harry Potter, Rupert was known for giggling during serious scenes.
- Rupert’s parents picked his name by drawing it out of a hat
- His great-grandfather called him “Copper Knob” because of Rupert’s ginger hair.
Connect with Rupert Grint
Connect with Rupert Grint
Fan Mail Address:
Peter Fraser & Dunlop
34-43 Russell St.
London WC2B 5HA, UK