The Three Broomsticks is the place for the most up-to-date opinions, analysis, and theories from our in-house editorialist, hpboy13! He tackles the toughest questions in the Potter fandom. Ever wondered if Harry Potter qualifies as a feminist text? Or whether Ron or Hermione was a better friend to Harry? Pull up a chair in the Three Broomsticks, grab a butterbeer, and see what Irvin has to say on these contentious topics!
If you’ve enjoyed hpboy13’s essays over the years, please consider checking out his book, The Life and Lies of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, which explores one of the most analyzed characters in the Potter series.
- The Real Secret Is… No One Cares: Review of “Secrets of Dumbledore” (April 19, 2022) - hpboy13 enjoyed this film more than "Crimes of Grindelwald" - but only because he no longer cares about the franchise.
- Broken Knickknacks vs. Horcruxes (March 25, 2022) - From Horcruxes to broken objects in a Mokeskin pouch, Harry and Voldemort both like to hold on to things, though for very different reasons.
- The Three Broomsticks Centenary: The Community (March 24, 2022) - From debates about canon to "Harry Potter" conventions, hpboy13 reflects on 25 years of fandom.
- The Three Broomsticks Centenary: Beyond Harry (March 23, 2022) - Over his 100 articles, hpboy13 has analyzed everything from the "Harry Potter" movies to "Cormoran Strike" to "Fantastic Beasts."
- The Three Broomsticks Centenary: Workings of the Wizarding World and the “Harry Potter” Books (March 22, 2022) - How does Felix Felicis work? What are the magical properties of seven? Help us unpack the magic of 100 articles at the Three Broomsticks.
- The Three Broomsticks Centenary: Regulars at the Pub (March 21, 2022) - hpboy13 reflects on the many characters he has analyzed in-depth (sometimes to great controversy) in his 100 articles of the Three Broomsticks column.
- The Three Broomsticks Centenary (March 20, 2022) - Grab a butterbeer and join us in celebrating 100 articles at the Three Broomsticks column.
- Alivening “Harry Potter” Through “The Christmas Pig” (December 20, 2021) - From an old Snitch to a stuffed pig, "Harry Potter" and "The Christmas Pig" both illustrate the importance of sentimental attachments to objects.
- Death Eaters – Part 6: The Battle of Hogwarts (July 5, 2021) - Which Death Eaters are present in the Battle of Hogwarts and where? hpboy13 has it figured out.
- Death Eaters – Part 5: The Death Eaters of “Deathly Hallows” (July 4, 2021) - Check out hpboy13's breakdown of which Death Eaters were present at Malfoy Manor and during the Battle of the Seven Potters.