“The Three Broomsticks” is the place for the most up-to-date opinions, analysis, and theories from our in-house editorialist, hpboy13! He tackles the toughest questions in the Potter fandom. Ever wondered if Harry Potter qualifies as a feminist text? Or whether Ron or Hermione was a better friend to Harry? Pull up a chair in the Three Broomsticks, grab a butterbeer, and see what Irvin has to say on these contentious topics!
If you’ve enjoyed hpboy13’s essays over the years, please consider checking out his book, The Life and Lies of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, which explores one of the most analyzed characters in the Potter series.
- Felix Felicis – Part 6: The Felix-Struck Tower (September 18, 2020) - In the last section of his deep dive into Felix Felicis, hpboy13 explores the effects of the lucky potion in battle and why seemingly unlucky things happen to those who take it.
- Felix Felicis – Part 5: Fight with the Fat Lady (September 17, 2020) - When does Felix Felicis actually wear off? hpboy13 argues that the lucky potion may last longer than Harry thinks it does and that it has surprisingly powerful effects that escape Harry's notice.
- Felix Felicis – Part 4: Conversing with Slughorn (September 16, 2020) - In Part 4 of his six-part series on Felix Felicis, hpboy13 reveals the precise and impressive character analysis Felix undertakes to help Harry manipulate Slughorn.
- Felix Felicis – Part 3: How Felix Works (September 15, 2020) - In Part 3 of his six-part series on Felix Felicis, hpboy13 analyzes the importance of location in the lucky potion's magic.
- Felix Felicis – Part 2: Free Will and Felix (September 14, 2020) - In the second of his six-part analysis of Felix Felicis, hpboy13 dives into the role of coincidence in Felix's magic and whether or not the potion has the power to control human behavior.
- Felix Felicis – Part 1: Felix’s Helping Hand (September 13, 2020) - How does Felix Felicis work? In the first of a six-part deep dive into this perplexing potion, hpboy13 teases apart every instance when Felix Felicis comes into play - even in moments when Harry himself doesn't realize it.
- What Was Dumbledore Plotting? – Part 2: Harry as a Horcrux and the Accident of Snape’s Death (September 4, 2020) - In this Three Broomsticks guest post, Sophia Jenkins responds to "The Life and Lies of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore" by explaining her theory about why Dumbledore chose not to tell Harry he was a Horcrux and arguing that Snape was never told about the Elder Wand.
- What Was Dumbledore Plotting? – Part 1: The Hallows and the Elder Wand (September 3, 2020) - In this Three Broomsticks guest post, Sophia Jenkins responds to "The Life and Lies of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore" by debating whom Dumbledore intended to have the Elder Wand and whether or not he planned for Harry to be master of death.
- Roderick Roach and “The Lightning-Struck Tower” (June 28, 2020) - hpboy13 argues that Roderick Roach from "The Ickabog" not only parallels Draco Malfoy's story arc but also gives us the redemption that Draco lacks.
- Chapter 13 (June 3, 2020) - Chapter 13 of "Harry Potter" is always a turning point. With this pattern in mind, hpboy13 does some theorizing on "The Ickabog".