“The Three Broomsticks” is the place for the most up-to-date opinions, analysis, and theories from our in-house editorialist, hpboy13! He tackles the toughest questions in the Potter fandom. Ever wondered if Harry Potter qualifies as a feminist text? Or whether Ron or Hermione was a better friend to Harry? Pull up a chair in the Three Broomsticks, grab a butterbeer, and see what Irvin has to say on these contentious topics!
If you’ve enjoyed hpboy13’s essays over the years, please consider checking out his book, The Life and Lies of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, which explores one of the most analyzed characters in the Potter series.
- Two Voldemorts Are Better Than One (March 27, 2019)- hpboy13 reflects on "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" and theorizes what would have happened if Tom Riddle had escaped the Diarycrux.
- Draco and Some Naughty Little Plans (March 26, 2019)- hpboy13 explores how Lucius Malfoy's and Tom Riddle's plans in "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" crisscrossed and how Draco ruined Riddle's plan.
- Heliopaths, Fiendfyre, and a Cassandra Complex (February 20, 2019)- Luna Lovegood's role in the "Harry Potter" series fits squarely into the Cassandra complex. hpboy13 suggests that Luna's Heliopaths are actually creatures of Fiendfyre.
- Wreath Theory in the “Potter” Books (December 22, 2018)- The ring structure of the "Harry Potter" series is reflected by the connections between the Christmases in the books.
- Hermione’s Horrible Holidays (December 21, 2018)- Throughout the "Harry Potter" books, Christmas always seems to be an awful time for Hermione.
- Getting a Clue for Christmas (December 20, 2018)- hpboy13 looks at how the Christmases in "Harry Potter" often hinted at information that was crucial to the series.
- A Reckoning at the Three Broomsticks (November 22, 2018)- In the aftermath of "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald", there has been no shortage of fans offering theories to address many of the film's unanswered questions. However, without knowing the rules of this franchise, hpboy13 has little interest in engaging with "Fantastic Beasts".
- In Jo We Do Not Trust (November 19, 2018)- hpboy13 takes a look at the state of "Potter" fans' relationship with Jo Rowling in a post-"Crimes of Grindelwald" world. Where do we go from here?
- It Is No Longer Our Choices: The Mediocrity of “Crimes of Grindelwald” (November 17, 2018)- hpboy13 explains why "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" is lazily written and deviates from the themes that made us love the "Harry Potter" series.
- The Real “Crimes of Grindelwald” Is the Movie (November 16, 2018)- hpboy13 expresses his disappointment in "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" in this spoiler-filled review. It suffices to say that this film was a big letdown.