Mini Dragon Eggs
Five of Charlie’s fellow keepers staggered up to the horntail at that moment, carrying a clutch of huge granite-gray eggs between them in a blanket. They placed them carefully at the Horntail’s side. Hagrid let out a moan of longing.” (GoF 328)
Mini Dragon Eggs
- 4 egg large
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn flakes finely crushed
- 7 oz. breakfast sausage fresh, with casings removed
- 2 egg large
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Place 4 eggs in a small saucepan; add enough cold water to cover the eggs.
- Bring to a boil; remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 3 minutes.
- Move eggs to ice bath to stop them from cooking further.
- Gently crack shells and carefully peel under cold running water. Place eggs in a bowl of cold water; cover and chill until cold.
- Place flour in a wide, shallow bowl and crushed corn flakes in another wide shallow bowl.
- Divide sausage into 4 equal portions.
- Pat 1 portion of sausage into a thin patty over length of your palm.
- Lay 1 soft-boiled egg on top of sausage and wrap sausage around egg, sealing to completely enclose.
- Repeat with remaining sausage and eggs.
- Whisk raw eggs in a medium bowl to blend.
- Working gently with 1 sausage-wrapped egg at a time, dip eggs into flour. Shake off the excess flour. Coat the scotch egg in egg wash. Roll in corn flakes to coat.
- Attach a deep-fry thermometer to the side of a large heavy pot. Pour in oil to a depth of 2” and heat over medium heat to 375°F.
- Fry eggs, turning occasionally and maintaining oil temperature of 350°F, until sausage is cooked through and breading is golden brown and crisp, 5–6 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs to paper towels to drain.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper. Serve warm with mustard.
- Boiling eggs can be done ahead of time.