Dark Mark Cupcakes
Then he realized that it was a colossal skull, composed of what looked like emerald stars, with a serpent protruding from its mouth like a tongue. As they watched, it rose higher and higher, blazing in a haze of greenish smoke, etched against the black sky like a new constellation.” (GoF 128)
Dark Mark Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour sifted twice
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup butter unsalted, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 4 Tbsp. milk
- frosting black, green
- fondant green
- jelly snakes (or red gummy worms)
- dragees silver
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line the bottom of two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy in separate bowl using an electric mixer.
- Add egg and vanilla extract. Beat until fully incorporated.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and sour cream to butter/sugar mixture in three parts.
- Add milk and mix until uniform.
- Divide batter into the muffin tins, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the muffin tins for a short time. Then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Remove the cupcake from the paper casing and cut small hollows for the eye sockets and mouth.
- Knead the fondant and roll out using a rolling pin to a maximum thickness of 1/4".
- Cut out a large enough piece of fondant to wrap the entire cake so it is completely sealed. The fondant will hold in place, but be careful not to press too hard and tear the fondant.
- Use your hands to sculpt the skull shape.
- Add facial features using dragrees for eyes and frosting elsewhere.
- Place a jelly snake coming out of the skull's mouth.