Golden Snitch Cake Pops
Golden Snitch Cake Pops
Aleta Anderson and Alisa McAfee Golden Snitch Cake Pops are perfect quick-service treats for a party.
- 1 package fondant white
- food coloring yellow
- 1/4 tsp. pearl dust gold
- 1/4 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 box cake mix
- 3.5 oz. instant pudding mix
- 4 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can icing
- 24 oz. candy melts yellow
- 12 oz. candy melts light cocoa
- Separate a small tennis-sized ball of fondant and mix in yellow food coloring, until desired color is reached.
- Dust work surface with corn starch or powdered sugar. Roll yellow fondant to about 1/8" thick. Use a cardstock pattern to cut left and right wings.
- Use embosser tool to add detail to each wing. Use straight-edge to create a ridge along the top and the wavy tool to add feather-like texture.
- Place each wing on a flower former to dry. It can be any cylinder.
- Mix lemon extract with Wilton gold pearl dust. Use a paintbrush to paint the shimmer onto the wings.
- Let the fondant fully dry before you work with them, up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray one 13" x 9" baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, and oil. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for two minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35–40 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool fully.
- In a large bowl, use hands to crumble cake. Make sure there are no chunks remaining. Add the icing and mix with fingers until well combined and the consistency of Play-Doh.
- Form mixture into cake balls about 1″ in diameter (approximately 1 Tbsp.).
- Melt yellow Candy Melts according to package instructions.
- Dip lollipop sticks 1/4" into melted Candy Melts and stick halfway into cake balls. Chill in refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Remove pops from refrigerator. Reheat yellow candy melts, as needed. Dip entire cake pop into yellow melts. Gently shake off the excess chocolate.
- Once pop is turned upright, immediately insert a wing on each side. Insert cake pop into Styrofoam craft block and let Candy Melts covering dry.
- Melt light cocoa candy melt according to package instructions. Use a fine-tipped paintbrush or piping parchment triangle to add scrollwork designs to cake pop. Let dry.
- Add more extract to the (now dried) gold paint from wing assembly until it is liquid again.
- Paint cake pops gold, as desired.
- For a marble look, don't fully mix in the color when making the fondant wings.
- Working with small batches of fondant helps you get the best look for the wings before they dry.
- A glass Mason jars will work for shaping the wings.
- You will want to make extra wings and plan on a few breaking while you are working with them. They are quite delicate.
- Any light-colored extract (lemon, mint, almond) or clear liquor (vodka, gin) will work for the paint. The important thing is that a quick-drying liquid is used.