Oversized Blueberry Muffins (GF) (Vg)
Oversized Blueberry Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. egg substitute
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup blueberries fresh
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. gluten-free flour
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. non-dairy margarine softened
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease or line the muffin trays.
- In a large bowl, whisk well together all dry ingredients.
- Seperately, whisk together egg substitute powder and water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, liquid egg substitute, lemon juice, and non-dairy milk.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid and fold six times, using large sweeping motions. I mean it: six!
- Add blueberries and fold six more times. The batter should not show any signs of unmixed flour. If it does, carefully fold one or two additional times.
- Fill each muffin cavity, right up to the top and then a little more, so that a small mound of batter is formed.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add all streusel topping ingredients and mash with a fork, until the mixture starts to resemble wet sand.
- Top each muffin with about a tablespoon of topping.
- Bake for around 25 minutes, until a nice golden color has formed and the muffins spring back at light touch.
- Cool on a baking rack until muffins are cool enough to remove.
- Egg subsitute and water can be replaced with one flax egg.
- Gluten-free recipes are quite susceptible to being gummy if over-mixed, this is why Renee counts the number of folds so specifically.