Five things you should know about Griphook
This time, we’re turning our attention to Griphook. Griphook is the scheming Gringotts goblin whom Harry rescues from Malfoy Manor in Deathly Hallows and then turns to for help in finding another Horcrux.
- Griphook is the goblin that Harry meets on his first visit to Gringotts in Sorcerer’s Stone. This is Harry’s first visit to the wizarding world and his vault at Gringotts.
- After the first book and Harry’s encounter with him, Griphook disappears from the story until Deathly Hallows. The trio next comes across the goblin when they are camping out in the forest. Griphook is one of the goblins who has gone into hiding. He says,
Gringotts is no longer under the sole control of my race. I recognize no wizarding master.
3. When they meet again, in Deathly Hallows, Griphook remembers Harry straight away:
You probably don’t remember —” Harry began.
“That I was the goblin who showed you to your vault, the first time you ever visited Gringotts? I remember, Harry Potter. Even amongst goblins, you are very famous.”
- It is Griphook who notices that the sword of Gryffindor is a fake, and he is able to lie for the trio in Malfoy Manor. The trio overhears him saying in the forest that
oh, yes. It is a copy — an excellent copy, it is true — but it was wizard-made. The original was forged centuries ago by goblins and had certain properties only goblin-made armor possesses. Wherever the genuine sword of Gryffindor is, it is not in a vault at Gringotts bank.
- In the same way that the trio attempts to double cross Griphook, he in turn double crosses them, leaving them trapped in the vault at Gringotts, and they have to make their own escape.
What are your thoughts on Griphook? Share what you like – or dislike – about the character in the comments.
I’m sure you’re aware that the same actor who portrayed Professor Flitwick also played Griphook in the Deathly Hallows film – the one and only Warwick Davis. Davis will be at MuggleNet Live! on April 18, so get thinking about any burning questions you might have for him. Find out more and get your tickets here. Tickets must be pre-booked, so don’t delay – book today!