Celebrating Friendship: Hermione Granger
Harry Potter is fortunate to have made so many wonderful friends at Hogwarts. In order to celebrate that friendship, I shine a spotlight on Harry’s best friends and all they did for him. These are the friends who ventured into danger with him, supported him as the years became steadily darker, and became his closest, most trusted allies in the fight against Voldemort.
Hermione Granger can surely be called Harry’s sister. Harry would quite literally have been lost in every way without her. We are all well aware of the numerous times Hermione fought by Harry’s side and saved his life, but to celebrate their close friendship, I would like to highlight some of the smaller moments they shared together. Here are a few of my favorites.
1. Lumos Solem! Oculus Reparo! Deprimo! Duro! Impervius! Flagrate! Obliviate!
Hermione saves Harry from countless tight situations with a well-placed spell. There are so many of those moments in the books that it is easy to take them for granted, as Harry definitely does sometimes, but take away any one of them and Harry’s fate may have been permanently altered. For that alone she deserves recognition.
2. “Because I thought – and Professor McGonagall agrees with me – that that broom was probably sent to Harry by Sirius Black!” (PoA 252)
Hermione is constantly looking out for Harry, even if he resents her for doing so. Hermione is only thinking of Harry’s safety when she hands that Firebolt over to Professor McGonagall. Hermione’s love for Harry encourages her to act in his best interests, even if Harry doesn’t always love her back for doing so.
3. “‘Hello,’ she said, holding up a stack of toast, which she was carrying in a napkin. ‘I brought you this… Want to go for a walk?'” (GoF 289)
Hermione anticipated Harry’s dread of facing the rest of the school after his name was pulled from the Goblet, so she brought him breakfast and allowed him to avoid it all for a while. Her compassion truly shines in this moment and in the rough weeks that follow. When Harry is faced with any adversity, Hermione is there.
4. “‘Bye Harry!’ said Hermione, and she did something she had never done before, and kissed him on the cheek” (GoF 734).
Amid the pain and confusion following Cedric’s death and Voldemort’s return, a simple, affectionate gesture from Hermione reminds Harry that he is by no means alone. This sweet moment they share truly shows how much Hermione loves Harry, and the fact that they can be comfortably affectionate with each other makes their friendship that much stronger.
5. “This… this is exactly why we need you… We need to know what it’s r-really like… facing him… facing V-Voldemort” (OoTP 328).
The first time Hermione says Voldemort’s name is a powerful moment in their friendship. Voldemort is very real to Harry; his presence consumes all visions of his future, and by saying his name, Hermione takes part of that burden upon herself and makes it her future as well. Hermione shows Harry that fear will never prevent her from standing by his side.
6. “Harry was so disarmed that she had thought his words as well worth memorizing as The Standard Book of Spells that he did not argue” (HBP 181).
So often, Harry feels unheard and misunderstood by his peers and the rest of the wizarding world. But Hermione always hears him and always tries to understand. It means so much to Harry that she learns as much from him as she does from their classes and that she appreciates and takes to heart what he has to say.
7. “But Hermione raised her wand, moved it in a circle through the air, and a wreath of Christmas roses blossomed before them” (DH 329).
Hermione’s presence at Harry’s side as he visits his parents’ grave – and her tender act of kindness – is an invaluable, defining moment in their relationship. It is beautiful to see that Harry can turn to Hermione in his grief for solace and comfort. The depth and strength of the love they have for each other is profound. Their bond can only be described as that of a brother and sister.
Don’t forget! Tickets to MuggleNet Live! 2017: Nineteen Years Later are still available for purchase, and we would LOVE to meet you in Orlando for an amazing Potter fandom experience! Check out our website for details and then get your ticket to have a private, magical evening with MuggleNet and the awesome talent from the Potter films!