Rita Mock-PikeA rich, thick gravy is key to any sumptuous feast. Feel free to sprinkle the spices you prefer into your cauldron - this is a potion that benefits from experimentation (unlike the one that will, with just one wrong ingredient, turn you into a cat-human hybrid).
- 2 Tbsp. butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour divided in two
- 2 cups chicken stock
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Once the butter has melted completely, whisk in half the flour. It will make a thick paste. Let cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in stock and whisk well, stirring continuously for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in remainder of the flour and keep stirring until gravy is thick and creamy.
- Remove gravy from heat and let it stand for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.
- Chicken stock can be replaced with beef or vegetable.
- Increase stock amount to thin gravy as desired.
- This recipe is from Rita Mock-Pike's The Unofficial Hogwarts for the Holidays Cookbook.