Bangers and Mash
Bangers and Mash
Dinah BucholzOn the evening that Dumbledore’s Army (the D.A.) is to meet for the first time, Harry eats bangers and mash for dinner, referred to as sausages and mash in the American version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter 18).
- 1/2 lb. veal ground
- 1/2 lb. pork ground
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg ground
- 1 tsp. sage ground
- 1/8 tsp. marjoram ground
- 1/8 tsp. thyme ground
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper freshly ground
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 6 potatoes peeled, quartered
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk whole
- 2 tsp. salt
- black pepper freshly ground, seasoned to taste
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients except for the 2 tablespoons of butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the butter in a skillet.
- Form the meat into sausage shapes and fry on each side over medium-high heat, turning often, until the sausages are well browned.
- Transfer the sausages to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat until all mixture is used up.
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring the water to boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for about 25 minutes, or until potatoes break apart when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes. Add butter, milk, salt, and black pepper.
- Mash with potato masher until potatoes are light and fluffy.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden (about 30 minutes).
- Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Add chicken broth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbling.
- Taste the gravy and add salt, if necessary.
- Place 3 or 4 sausages on a plate. Mound the mashed potatoes on the side, and spoon generous amounts of onion gravy over the whole lot. Enjoy!
- Ground beef can be used in place of pork in the bangers.
- Milk can be replaced with half & half in the mashed potatoes for a leaner product.
- This is one of Dinah's recipes from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook.