MistyThis dish is basically a soup containing various kinds of cooked fish, shellfish, and vegetables, flavored with a variety of herbs and spices such as garlic, orange peel, basil, bay leaf, fennel, and saffron.
- 1 lb. mussels fresh
- 10 clams littleneck
- 2 lb. fish filleted (bass, grouper, or your favorite)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 14 oz. tomatoes diced
- 3/4 tsp. fennel seed
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 tsp. butter
- 2 1/2 cups water hot
- 8 oz. clam juice
- 1 lb. shrimp unpeeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Wash and scrub mussels and clams (observe all safety rules when dealing with seafood).
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in large pot. Add the mussels and cover the pot. Steam mussels for 6-8 minutes (when the mussels open)... any mussels that do not open must be thrown away. Remove from heat.
- Cut the fish into 1" thick slices.
- Heat oil in a large stew pot. Add the garlic, onions, tomatoes, fennel, salt, and pepper. Add the broth from steaming the mussels and butter to the pot.
- Add remaining hot water and clam juice. Bring to a boil.
- Add clams and fish and continue to boil for 6–8 minutes.
- Add mussels and shrimp. Boil for a final 5 minutes.
- To serve: Scoop out a generous portion of seafood and ladle the broth over it. Serve with a large chunk of your favorite rustic style bread.
- Recipe modified from Taste.com.au . Photo from Taste.com.au .