Shepherd’s Pie by Elizabeth
Shepherd's Pie by Elizabeth
ElizabethThis recipe for shepherd's pie is a bit different, giving cooks the option to use lamb over beef, and adds carrots for color and flavor.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion medium, sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 18 oz. beef gravy Heinz or scratch
- 1 carrot diced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- mashed potatoes prepared
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown ground beef over medium heat in large skillet. Break up all lumps until it is evenly crumbled.
- Drain grease from meat and remove from skillet. Set aside to cool.
- Sweat onions (until translucent) in same skillet (do not clean) and add garlic.
- Pour ground beef back into skillet over onions and garlic.
- Add gravy, carrot, salt, and pepper.
- Raise heat and bring to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until carrot is tender.
- Pour mixture into 9" deep baking dish and top with prepared mashed potatoes.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- Ground lamb can be used in place of beef.