A Look Back at “What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7”: Chapters 1 & 2
A little under ten years ago, the Potter world looked a lot different. In fact, we were still waiting to find out what Book 7 would be titled. Fan theories were rampant on Potter sites, which led to MuggleNet’s book, What Will Happen In Harry Potter 7, which was published in 2006. The past MuggleNet staff members combined fan questions and thoughts into one entity, but now, we are in a new generation with new staff members, and we feel it’s time we look back. What did we get right? What did we get wrong? And are we disappointed by the theories we believed to be concrete that never came to be at all?
It’s time to go chapter by chapter and reflect. Through the combined efforts of an array of MuggleNet staff members, we invite you to ruminate on what we thought would occur in Book 7.
Due to the size and content in the first two chapters, I have chosen to combine the two into one post with more emphasis on the initial chapter.
Chapter 1: Book 7 Basics
- What we got right:
- The length of Deathly Hallows was pretty accurate; it was predicted to be shorter than Order of the Phoenix but longer than Half-Blood Prince.
- What we got wrong:
- The title of Book 7 was impossible to guess even though there were a few ideas: “Harry Potter and the… Alchemist’s Cell, Battle for Hogwarts, Chariots of Light, Final Revelation, Green Flame Torch, Hallows of Hogwarts, and Hogsmeade Tomb.” The closest we got was the word “hallows.”
- What we almost got right:
- We imagined that J.K. Rowling would announce the final title a year before its release, which would have been around summer 2006. Instead, Rowling announced the title eight months prior to its release, so that’s pretty darn close.
- A popular theory on Book 7’s release date was for 07/07/07, due to the fact that seven is the most powerful number and that it fell on a Saturday. There was doubt about a summer 2007 release because of Order of the Phoenix‘s film release, and it was expected that a summer 2008 release looked more realistic. However, Book 7 was released in summer 2007, on a Saturday, with sets of 7 (7/21/07).
Chapter 2: The Story So Far
- It was impossible to get anything right or wrong because this chapter summed up the past 16 years of Potter phenomena. It was a beautiful trip down memory lane, and it will give anyone the warm and fuzzies.
Do you still have your copy of MuggleNet’s What Will Happen In Book 7 lying around your home? Consult it and check back with us later this month for the next update!