28 Things You Think During “Harry Potter” Trivia Nights
Ah, trivia nights. The ultimate test of fandom knowledge. Trivia nights have seen a resurgence in recent years. Some are organized by groups who rotate through popular television shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Seinfeld, FRIENDS, and How I Met Your Mother, just to name a few examples. Some are regular weekly night offerings from a myriad of bars and span all subjects.
Harry Potter trivia nights also – rightly – exist. They manage to ask incredibly difficult questions. Due to the differences between the films and books and because everyone is so crazy about the series, the organizers must really challenge the audience.
I’ve been to several Harry Potter trivia nights as well as a few other fandom and general trivia nights. Here is my recap of the former, listed for your reading pleasure.
*From the perspective of a Hufflepuff
- I’m PUMPED. I am SO ready for trivia night. I’ve got my Hufflepuff tie on, and I’ve prepped for this night by marathoning the movies this past week.
- Oh, wait, shoot. This trivia night is questions based on the movies and the books.
- Ooh, I like the drinks menu for tonight. I think I shall have a “Weasley Is Our King.”
- This drink is super ginger beer-y. Not complaining.
- Where are my friends? Why didn’t we think to come together?
- Everyone is dressed so much cooler than I am. Need to up my paraphernalia game.
- Look! I see them. And now we’re at a table. Good, because I wasn’t in the mood to balance a drink on my knee while jotting down answers.
- But wait, why are there only four sections? How short is this trivia night?
- I’m totally feeling this intro video. The mood music is getting me into the magical mood.
- Crap, I didn’t prepare with a team name. WHY IS NONE OF US PREPARED? WHY ARE WE SUCH AMATEURS?
- Okay, we went with the obvious: “Harry, Yer a Quizard.” God, I’m so lame.
- All right, this round isn’t that bad. I can do this. Name at least ten ghosts that were mentioned in the books.
- Nope, nope, Peeves is a poltergeist, not a ghost.
- Every team is SHOUTING their answers at each other. This is hysterical.
- Ooh, I need another drink. Why is there no butterbeer on the menu?!
- Made it back for the second round! Ugh, it’s a picture round. This is the worst.
- That wasn’t bad. Wait, did I jinx myself? Why is it magical creatures as the next category? I barely remember the ones mentioned in passing in Fantastic Beasts.
- BOWTRUCKLE. I couldn’t remember the name of “the creature that looks like a tree branch.” Grumpy that “Pickett” didn’t count.
- The swelling orchestral music heralding the start of each round is so extra, and I love it.
- Wait, how are we on the last round already??
- WHO KNOWS THE NAME OF NICOLAS FLAMEL’S WIFE???
- I’m convinced her name starts with the letter “A.” Something from Greek mythology. My teammates think her name starts with a “P.”
- Shambles. We’re all folding into shambles.
- Oh, right, let’s count up points. The most I could score was 44.
- My team got 35. *inserts expletive* Like, not even top three.
- The winning team got 41?!! WHO ARE YOU.
- Okay, well, this was fun. Stressful and quite a blow to my ego. But would repeat 10/10. I need to track down another Harry Potter trivia night.
- I think there’s another one in a month?? Who’s down?