The Ron-and-Harry-Approved Way of Celebrating National Lazy Day
August 10 is National Lazy Day. It comes at the perfect time in summer, when festivals, concerts, and get-togethers have slowed down after two jam-packed months of summertime madness.
For those going back to school at the end of August or September, you’ll be wanting to savor these last few weeks of pure, unadulterated bliss. For those who have an internship or regular job, then Lazy Day falling on a weekday isn’t the greatest timing, but you can still reap the benefits after work. The sun generally sets later during the summer anyway.
But! Let’s say you had no idea National Lazy Day was a thing and now you don’t know what to do.
Let’s take a couple of leaves from Ron and Harry’s books.
Ron and Harry definitely know how to lazily spend a day; they’ve had plenty of these together. (For good reason – I mean, if you and your friends had just saved the wizarding world from doom, you definitely deserve a day off. Multiple days, even.) Accordingly, I’ve compiled the perfect lazy day:
- Hopefully, you would have turned off all your wake-up alarms. Wake up at a time that your body deems perfect to wake up.
- Do not get out of your pajamas. If you don’t wear pajamas or if you want to change into something more comfortable, then, by all means, throw on your most raggedy T-shirt and sweatpants.
- Today is not a day for cooking, baking, or going to restaurants. It’s time to release your inner schlub: heating up leftovers and online food ordering only today. (Ordering food online and having it delivered to you is probably the closest thing to magicking meals that Muggles have.)
- Pull out whatever leftovers you have in the fridge – more than likely, it’ll be Chinese takeout – and heat it up as you peruse your DVD or Netflix collection.
- Make sure that you have a pitcher of water and copious napkins next to you as you become one with the couch, to maximize couch potato-ness.
- After a few hours of watching TV, stand up, stretch, and step over to your window. If you have a little patio or deck, head outside and find the perfect napping place in the grass. If you don’t, channel your best Crookshanks and get in some quality loafing time.
- Suntanning always makes me sleepy, so after an hour or so of sunning, head back inside and gulp down a few glasses of water. Now it’s time to order some dinner and watch some more TV.
- Pull up your Yelp Eat24, GrubHub, UberEATS, or DoorDash app on your phone and tap away.
- Make a bonfire, find the longest stick you can find, and then get as close to it as physically possible. Skewer anything that will taste good toasted and take in as much of the remaining hours of the day
- Stumble into bed and prepare to spend tomorrow the normal way.
How would you have spent your perfect lazy day? Shout out in the comments below!