Close Out MuggleNet’s Monthlong “Potter” Party with a Movie Marathon
MuggleNet has been throwing a Potter party all month long, and we’re going to end July with a bang. We’ve spent the past three weeks celebrating Potterversaries of books and films, reminiscing about midnight book and movie releases, and partying like it’s 1999 (and 1998, 2000, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2016). We’ve been doing crafts, baking, games, and throwbacks, and we’re going to use Harry’s birthday to really indulge in the nostalgia and revisit the story itself. That means staying up way past our bedtimes (maybe even all night?) to consume it all in one sitting and chat about it with our pals on the Internet – just like the good old days.
Our movie marathon, featuring all eight Harry Potter films in order, kicks off right as Harry’s birthday begins in the United Kingdom – that’s 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Friday, July 30 (midnight British Summer Time on July 31). Pop that corn, crack open a cold butterbeer, and carefully select your Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans. Don’t worry – we’ll have breaks in between if you need to refuel or go visit Moaning Myrtle.
We unfortunately can’t show the movies, but you can start your own viewing of your DVD, digital download, or streaming service at the same time so we’re all on the same page and watching together. Our staff will be livestreaming to our Facebook page as they watch, providing reactions, commentary, and analysis, and you’ll be welcome to join the conversation in the comments. Pose questions, start debates, share your favorite moments, and weigh in on the hosts’ discussion. A fresh stream will start for each film. In between, we’ll be sharing our memories, and yours, from midnight parties back in the day.
The schedule for the marathon is as follows:
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – 7:00 p.m. ET
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – 9:45 p.m. ET
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – 12:40 a.m. ET
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – 3:15 a.m. ET
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – 6:00 a.m. ET
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – 8:30 a.m. ET
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 – 11:15 a.m. ET
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 – 2:00 p.m. ET
This event is made possible by the Protego Foundation, a fan activist organization that fights for animal rights. We’re also partnering with Hornby, maker of magical model trains, which will be providing eight fabulous prizes for our viewers. A different code word will be announced during each film, so you can enter the worldwide giveaway up to eight times by using each code word. The more of our marathon you watch, the more chances you have to win one of these exciting collectibles:
- Hogwarts Express Train Set (valued at £199.99)
- Remote Controlled Hogwarts Express Train Set (valued at £149.99)
- 5972 Hogwarts Castle train (valued at £109.99)
- Hogwarts passenger coaches No. 99312 and No. 99723 (valued at £81.98 together)
- Hogsmeade Station, Station Building (valued at £59.99)
- Platform 9 3/4 (valued at £49.99)
- Hogsmeade Station, Footbridge (valued at £34.99)
- Hogsmeade Station, Booking Hall (valued at £24.99)
Each entrant may only win one item. Winners will be selected in descending order of prize value. The giveaway is open to entrants regardless of location and will close at 11:59 p.m. ET on July 31.