Kelly Macdonald was born February 23, 1976 in Glasgow, Scotland. After her parents divorced, she and her brother David were raised by their mother, a sales executive. Acting only as a hobby, she was working as a barmaid when she answered an open casting call and scored her breakout role in the 1996 film Trainspotting. Since then she has appeared in many movies, including Gosford Park (2001), No Country for Old Men (2007),and Brave (2012). She has also had several television roles including HBO’s Boardwalk Empire (2010) and the movie The Girl in the Cafe (2005), which won Kelly an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie.
Kelly married Dougie Payne, bassist for the band Travis, in 2003 and the couple have two children: Freddie, born on March 9, 2008 and Theodore, born on December 8, 2012.IMDb Filmography
- “Harry Potter” stars lend their voices in new animated Pixar production “Brave” - Animated wizards? Four former "Potter" cast members will lend their voices to Pixar's newest film.
- Set to play The Grey Lady, Kelly Macdonald was first asked to play another character - In a new interview with The Independent, the actress who will play The Grey Lady in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 reveals she was originally asked to play Tonks in Order of the Phoenix.
Kelly Macdonald portrayed Helena Ravenclaw (a.k.a The Grey Lady) in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2.
Kelly is actually the second person to portray The Grey Lady in the Potter series; in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets the part of The Grey Lady was played by Nina Young.
Kelly was the last person to be cast in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, subsequently making her the last person ever to join the cast of the Harry Potter series. A modest person, Kelly has said that director David Yates was most likely doing her a favor when he cast her because:
“he’s knocked me back a couple to times to play [the Order of the Phoenix member] Tonks in the Harry Potter films”.
- Screen Actors Guild Awards - Outstanding Performance by the Cast of a Motion Picture - Gosford Park (2001)
- Satellite Awards - Outstanding Motion Picture Ensemble - Gosford Park (2001)
- Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards - Best Acting Ensemble - Gosford Park (2001)
- Florida Film Critics Circle Awards - Best Ensemble Cast - Gosford Park (2001)
- Online Film Critics Society Awards - Best Ensemble - Gosford Park (2001)
- Primetime Emmy Awards - Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie - The Girl in the Café (2005)
- Screen Actors Guild Awards - Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - No Country for Old Men (2007)
- London Critics Circle Film Awards - British Supporting Actress of the Year - No Country for Old Men (2007)
- National Board of Review, USA - Best Acting by an Ensemble - No Country for Old Men (2007)
- Sundance Film Festival Special Jury Award – Best acting by an Ensemble- Dramatic - Choke (2008)
- Screen Actors Guild Awards (2011)- Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series - Boardwalk Empire (2010)
- Screen Actors Guild Awards (2012) - Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series - Boardwalk Empire (2010)
- Visual Effects Society Awards - Outstanding Animated Character in an Animated Feature Motion Picture - Brave (2012)
In November 2013 Kelly Macdonald became an ambassador for the Yorkhill Children’s Charity in her hometown of Glasgow, Scotland. According to their website: “Yorkhill Children’s Charity provides and supports excellence in paediatric, obstetric and neonatal healthcare enhancing the treatment, care and wellbeing of children and their families through The Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill and other hospital and community based services both nationally and internationally.”
Connect with Kelly
Connect with Kelly
Independent Talent Group Ltd.
40 Whitfield Street
London W1T 2RH