Natalia Gastiain Tena was born on November 1, 1984, in London, England, to Spanish parents. Her father Jesus worked as a carpenter, and her mother Maria was a UN secretary. Natalia is fluent in both English and Spanish.
Natalia showed her creative skills at an early age, becoming proficient in playing the piano, violin, and accordion. She attended Bedales School, a prestigious boarding school for the arts in Hampshire, England. She was initially rejected by several drama schools, and almost moved to Australia to study philosophy and psychology, but in the end she chose to stay and continue to pursue acting.
- Role Call: The Absolem Truth - Welcome to this week's Role Call! There are A LOT of new projects in the works for our favorite "Harry Potter" alum, including those of David Tennant, David Thewlis, and David Heyman (Wow! That's a lot of Davids!), and of course, we prepare for Alan Rickman's last film: "Alice Through the Looking Glass". Check out what is in the works below!
- Social Roundup: Around The World In Many Selfies - This edition found some of the alumni off on adventures scattered across the world. We can only hope this means that Hogwarts is finally recruiting international students for next fall's first year intake.
Natalia began acting as a full-time career in 2003. Just four years later, the actress joined the Harry Potter films as Nymphadora Tonks in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. She reprised that role for the three subsequent films in the series.
She also hosted the behind-the-scenes featurette “Trailing Tonks” on the DVD and Blu-ray of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- She has been reported as naming Helena Bonham Carter as her favorite actress, the same actress who plays Tonks’s aunt Bellatrix Lestrange in the Potter films.
- She learned how to play the accordion while in a stage production called Nights at the Circus.
- Natalia’s fellow Bedales alumni include Minnie Driver, Lily Allen, and Daniel Day-Lewis.
- She was almost kicked out of Bedales for smoking, but the teacher who caught her asked her to try out for a role in About a Boy instead.
After her work in the Harry Potter films, Natalia joined the world of another widely popular fandom by taking on the role of Osha in HBO’s Game of Thrones, the TV series adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series.
When away from the world of acting, Natalia fills the role of vocalist and accordion player for the band Molotov Jukebox.