Harry and the Potters Wizard Rock Group Celebrate Ten Years with National Tour
Hailed as the founders of the wizard rock genre – a DIY music movement boasting nearly 1,000 bands that play songs relating to the Harry Potter book series – Harry and the Potters formed in 2002 with brothers Paul and Joe DeGeorge and have since released three full-length albums and played in over 600 shows all over the world. The DeGeorge brothers also cofounded the Harry Potter Alliance, a non-profit organization that makes activism accessible to young people by using the Harry Potter books as an access point to discuss pressing issues of social justice.
Harry and the Potters are a mashup of pop culture, punk rock, performance art, meta literary critique, and DIY ethics. Using the power of rock and roll as a weapon against evil, they answer the question, what would happen if Harry Potter quit the Quidditch team, stole a Time-Turner, and started a punk rock band with himself from an earlier point in the space-time continuum?
This summer, the group will tour around the country to celebrate its ten years together, and on top of that, they will be touring with Potter Puppet Pals.
Here are the summer tour dates:
- Jul 18 | Prescott, AZ | Prescott Plaza*
- Jul 19 | Tucson, AZ | Hotel Congress*
- Jul 20 | Phoenix, AZ | South Mountain Community Library*
- Jul 21 | San Diego, CA | Che Cafe*
- Jul 22 | Irvine, CA | UC Irvine | Cross Cultural Center
- Jul 23 | Los Angeles, CA | The Troubadour
- Jul 24 | Santa Barbara, CA | Biko Garage
- Jul 25 | Santa Cruz, CA | The Crepe Place
- Jul 26 | San Francisco, CA | Slims
- Jul 27 | Reno, NV | Holland
- Jul 29 | Portland, OR | Backspace | with Hank Green!
- Jul 30 | Olympia, WA | Northern | with Hank Green!
- Jul 31 | Seattle, WA | Vera Project | with Hank Green!
- Aug 2 | Boise, ID | The Crux
- Aug 3 | Salt Lake City, UT | Kilby Court
- Aug 4 | Denver, CO | Mercury Cafe
- Aug 5 | Lawrence, KS | Lawrence Arts Center
- Aug 6 | Omaha, NE | The Slowdown
- Aug 7 | Minneapolis, MN | Triple Rock Social Club
- Aug 8 | Chicago, IL | Beat Kitchen
- Aug 10 | Chicago, IL | LeakyCon
- Aug 12 | Indianapolis, IN | Indianapolis Central Library
- Aug 13 | Washington, DC | The Black Cat
- Aug 14 | Asbury Park, NJ | Asbury Lanes
- Aug 15 | Brooklyn, NY | The Knitting Factory
- Aug 18 | Boston, MA | The Middle East
*Shows without Potter Puppet Pals
Volunteers from the Harry Potter Alliance will also be on hand at concerts to register first-time voters as part of their Wizard Rock the Vote campaign.