We at MuggleNet LOVE costume contests. We get so excited about them - we all secretly (or not so seccretly...) wish that we could enter them ourselves! This year, we decided to switch it up a little bit and make the contest a little more interesting. After all, we ALL can have a fabulous Luna costume, or can slap a lightning bolt on our head and call ourselves Harry - but, are we all creative? This year's contest will test just that!
This year the costume contest theme is CHAPTERS. To enter, put together your most amazing Harry Potter chapter themed costume - either a scene from within a chapter, or as we imagined it, an ode to the amazing US chapter art by Mary Grandpre - dress in it for Halloween 2013, and photograph yourself. Contestants may submit his or her best photograph to be entered into the judging.
Use your costume design talents and photographic skills to score a win in this fun contest! Your finished masterpiece will be reviewed by MuggleNet staff, who will narrow the selections down to the Top Quarter finalists. MuggleNet fans will then vote for their favorite costume on MuggleNet.com to determine the Top 5 Finalists. Expert judges from BuyCostume.com will then determine the 3 Winners from among the Finalists.
The Top 3 winners will receive these terrific prizes from BuyCostumes.com:
- 1st place gets Adult Robe Package including Robe, Tie, Scarf, and Wand
- 2nd place gets Adult Robe
- and 3rd place receives a House Scarf
If you are a selected winner, your costume and First Name and Last Initial and Location will be posted on the Main MuggleNet website. You will receive a 'Potter'-themed costume prize pack from BuyCostumes.com! Be sure to LIKE the BuyCostumes.com Facebook Page and visit their website to sign-up for their mailing list to receive 15% off of your next purchase, exclusive offers and breaking news!
Entries must be received:
No later than 11:59 PM (Eastern USA Time)
on Friday, October 25th
We know you’re ready to get started on your costumes, so here are the guidelines. Read and follow these rules carefully to avoid disqualification!
- The contest is open to everyone, all ages, and from every country worldwide.
- Your costume may be based on any CHAPTER SCENE in the Harry Potter Books - 1 through 7.
- Only ONE (1) prize will be given to an individual; therefore, if you submit a group photo or more than one individual, any prize awarded will be sent to the person who submitted the photo.
- Your costume may be made or assembled by yourself, or you may have help with it. Costumes may be custom-made from scratch, borrowed, or assembled from stuff you find under your bed. It may be put together by a committee.
- Contestants are allowed to use make-up, prosthetics, masks, wigs, or full-body outfits. But be aware that originality, ingenuity, and cleverness will be major factors in the judging.
- Photographs of anyone submitted fraudulently (for example using someone else’s photo without his or her permission) will expose the entrant to possible legal action!
- Pre-fab or ready-made complete costumes are discouraged, as they will not be considered original; and may be disqualified by Staff consensus.
- You may use sets, props, backdrops, lighting effects, or anything within reason to make your costume and the photograph of it memorable – but just don’t copy the work of others. Be original!
- The photograph of the contestant(s) in costume must be in JPEG format only, and must be included as an attachment to the e-mail submitting your entry.
- Here are the TECHNICAL RULES for your still photographic entry:
- JPEG images only. Size not to exceed 900 Pixels High X 675 Pixels Wide (either Vertical or Horizontal orientation is OK)
- All photos must be un-retouched! Photo Shopped images will be automatically disqualified.
- Image must be a single photograph – no composite images allowed.
- No text applications may be incorporated within the photograph.
- Keep it clean and appropriate! All ages will be viewing your photo. After all, it is about Harry Potter. Use common sense – you know what’s OK and what’s not. Any submission containing obscene or suggestive material will be automatically disqualified, and will not be linked to MuggleNet.com for voting.
- DO NOT reveal any personal contact information in your photograph. Just use common sense to protect your privacy. Your submission e-mail will provide your name and contact information. (MuggleNet will need it to identify you.) And, of course, neither BuyCostumes.com nor MuggleNet.com will reveal or post your full identity or any contact information without your permission.
OK, when you’ve made your costume and photographed it to your satisfaction, send it as an e-mail attachment to email@example.com. In the e-mail include:
- Your name
- A working e-mail contact address
- A brief statement of who or what the costume is intended to be
We will send you a reply when your entry is received and viewed to be sure we can open it properly, and that the entry meets the requirements.
After previewing all entries, the Favorites selected for posting by the MuggleNet staff will appear for voting on MuggleNet.Com. Our fans will be invited to vote for their favorites. The result of the voting will determine the TOP Five (5) Finalists.
Be sure to have your e-mail entry with the JPEG attachment sent to us not later than Friday, October 25th
Voting will begin on Saturday October 26th, and run through 11:59 EasternTime on Wednesday, October 30th.
The 7 Finalists will be announced by Thursday, October 31st.
The 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place Winners will be announced on MuggleNet.com by Saturday, November 2nd, 2013.
GOOD LUCK! AND HAVE FUN!