Romilda Vane’s Spiked Cauldron Cakes
Romilda Vane's Spiked Cauldron Cakes
Fiona McTaggartHave you ever wanted to take a leaf out of Romilda Vane’s book and sneak a little Amortentia to someone in your life? While we can’t guarantee these cauldron cakes will send anyone to Slughorn’s office for an ill-fated cure, your crush may just love them so much they’ll snog you anyway.
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 egg large
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate dark
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 5 drops food coloring red
- 4 Tbsp. cinnamon whisky
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate
- sprinkles red (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners and set aside.
- In one bowl, mix together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in eggs, milk, canola oil, and vanilla extract.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from tins and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Take ⅓ cup dark chocolate and place in a microwavable bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals until smooth.
- Use a spoon or piping bag to create 24 U shapes for cauldron handles on the parchment. Then, create 35 small dots of chocolate on the parchment for the feet of the cauldron.
- Combine cream cheese, butter, cinnamon whisky, vanilla, and powdered sugar in a mixer. Add powdered sugar if necessary. Add five drops of red food coloring and mix well.
- Transfer pink filling to Ziploc bag or piping bag and set aside.
- Heat the heavy cream until it is almost at a boil. Pour cream over the remaining 1 cup of dark chocolate and let sit for five minutes. Whisk ganache until smooth.
- Begin assembly immediately.
- Remove paper lining from cooled cupcakes. Turn upside down and use knife to cut out a hollow in bottom of each cupcake.
- Dip cupcake tops in warm ganache. Press three chocolate dots (cauldron feet) to bottom and set aside to cool.
- Add two handles to each cauldron when ganache is partially cooled but not set. Allow the whole thing to set until hard to the touch.
- Pipe filling into each cupcake cavity. Top with red sprinkles.
- Transfer remaining ganache into piping bag. Snip off tip of bag and pipe a circle of thick ganache around lip of each cauldron, creating a rim around the pink icing.
- If you’re finding some of the ganache won’t melt, place it in the microwave or on a double boiler until smooth.
- This recipe was adapted from Pastry Affair.