They sat by the hour eating anything they could spear on a toasting fork – bread, English muffins, marshmallows – and plotting ways of getting Malfoy expelled…” (SS 199)
- 1/2 oz. gelatin powder
- 1/2 cup water cold
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup light
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. honey
- 5 Tbsp. water
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Combine sugar, syrup, honey, and water in small heavy-bottomed pot. Cook to 248°F.
- Carefully pour hot syrup into bowl of stand mixer. Add bloomed gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Using stand mixer, whip sugar on low until gelatin and sugar are uniform.
- Increase to medium speed and whip 4–6 minutes. Stop whipping when marshmallow can hold itself up.
- Pipe marshmallows while warm onto cornstarch-dusted parchment paper.
- Dust marshmallows with cornstarch. Let set for 2 hours.
- Store marshmallows in an airtight container.
- If the marshmallow firms up too much, put the mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water. Be careful not to overheat.
- If the honey flavor isn't for you, replace the honey with more corn syrup.
- Extracts can be added to this recipe to change the flavor.
- Marshmallows can also be molded into shapes by creating a cornstarch mold: Fill a baking sheet with cornstarch and use a clean item (such as an egg) to create a cavity. Slightly underwhip the marshmallow and pipe it into the cavity.