John L. Wilda Direct from the bar of the Three Broomsticks, these nuts are a great combination of spicy and sweet.
- 10 Tbsp. butter unsalted
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 5 1/2 Tbsp. maple sugar
- 5 1/2 cups cashews raw, pieces
- Melt butter, sugar, and spices together in a small pot.
- Pour melted sugar mixture over cashews in a heat-proof bowl. Toss to fully coat nuts.
- Move to parchment-lined sheet pans and bake at 350°F for 15–20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes.
- Spice can be easily adjusted by playing with the amount of each pepper in the recipe.
- Add seeds such as sunflower or pumpkin to create more texture in this snack.
- Maple sugar may only available locally in Canada and the northeastern United States. However, it should be available online for those living elsewhere. One could substitute with regular sugar and maple extract, but the flavor will not be the same.