What Should Your New Year’s Resolution Be Based on Your Hogwarts House?
In the words of Albus Dumbledore, “Another year gone!”
I don’t know about you, but I feel like 2016 just started last week. Yet somehow it’s already over, and I, for one, am glad to be rid of it. It hasn’t all been terrible, though. While we’ve lost some great people, the year breathed a bit of life back into a lulled fandom. As we usher in the new year, we do what we always do and set new goals for 2017. My own personal list includes walking more and learning to be more positive, but what if we made resolutions based on the best traits of our Houses, or the traits we admire from the other Houses?
Gryffindor is known for bravery, so a Gryffindor New Year should be one full of new challenges and adventures. As a Gryffindor myself, I find that some of the most rewarding experiences come from adventuring and conquering my fears. Go figure, right? So what sort of resolutions fit this bill?
- Try new things! Whether it’s in the form of food or hobbies, trying new things is always an excellent adventure on a small, easily manageable scale.
- Explore! Go hiking! Take a different route on your way to work or school! You never know what you might discover.
- Go on a road trip! It doesn’t have to be a long one; just get in the car and go somewhere. Maybe living in California has spoiled me to the advantages of road-tripping, but there’s something satisfying about deciding to go somewhere spur of the moment and then just going. Isn’t the journey half the fun?
Ravenclaws value wit beyond measure, so Ravenclaw resolutions should be and are easy to peg. These brains are known for their love of books and learning, and it’s something about which they are justly proud. Some Ravenclaw resolutions:
- Read more! Did you read fifteen books last year? Twenty? Thirty-five? Fifty? Read more this year! Add five to your total (or more if you really want a challenge) and set that as your goal for the new year!
- Write more! I know a lot of writers who are proud Ravenclaws and a lot of Ravenclaws who want to write, so whether you’re already doing it or you just want to, write more this year. Maybe even participate in next year’s NaNoWriMo.
- Start reading or watching the news! Intelligence is something that’s built upon, and one of the best ways to broaden your horizons is to take in the news. Just remember to get your news from more than one source! It’s never good to only get one side of any story.
Perhaps you belong in Hufflepuff where they are just, loyal, and hardworking. If so, you’re going to want some resolutions that give you the warm fuzzies and a sense of accomplishment.
- Finish projects! Hufflepuffs are known to be hardworking individuals, so set your mind to finishing that project you’ve been putting off (or been working on). It’s going to be great!
- Spend more time with your friends! We all get busy, so make time for your friends! There’s no doubt that they’re missing you as much as you’re missing them, so make time for them!
- Laugh more and have more fun! There’s nothing wrong with having a bit of fun. All work and no play, as the saying goes…
Let’s not forget these ambitious and cunning folk. Surprisingly, as a Gryffindor, I find that Slytherins tend to be my favorite people with their sharp tongues and quick wit. These serpents need something goal-oriented in the new year.
- Get up earlier! Carpe the heck out of that diem and catch those worms! The world is yours. Get it before everyone else can.
- Get straight A’s! You’re driven–we all know that–so prove your merit with a report card to reflect it.
- Get that promotion or raise! Just like grades, your good work deserves recognition. Keep working hard and maybe use a bit of that cunning to convince your supervisor that you should be getting paid a bit more for all you do.
What resolutions have you set? Do any reflect your Hogwarts House?