Potion Master’s Pickle Jars
He tried not to look at a large, slimy something suspended in green liquid on a shelf behind Snape’s desk.” (CoS 68)
Potion Master's Pickle Jars
Jennifer FancherThis recipe combines cucumbers, onion, white wine vinegar, and sugar along with fresh pickling herbs to create these yummy morsels that even snivelling pickle-haters would enjoy.
- 2.2 lb. cucumbers (small will work best)
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 onion large
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 Tbsp. mustard seed whole
- Peel cucumbers and cut lengthwise into halves.
- Scoop out seeds and discard.
- Slice cucumbers into smaller pieces.
- Coat cucumber pieces with salt and let rest in refrigerator overnight.
- Chop onion into pieces equal to that of the cucumber. Set aside in airtight container until ready to pickle.
- Combine sugar, white wine vinegar, water, salt, mustard seed, and optional spices in saucepan.
- Boil mixture for three minutes.
- Rinse salt from cucumbers. Layer the cucumber and onion in sanitized jars as desired.
- Carefully pour brine into jars, covering veggies but leaving about 1/2" of air at the top of the jar.
- Seal jars, place upside down, and allow to cool completely.
- Store pickles in refrigerator. Allow to rest for 4 days before eating.
- Additional spice suggestions: fresh dill, cinnamon stick, allspice, ground cloves, crushed red pepper flakes, ground ginger
- To learn more about pickling and preserving vegetables, check out Step-by-Step Pickling by Ball.