Potion Master’s Pickle Jars
He tried not to look at a large, slimy something suspended in green liquid on a shelf behind Snape’s desk.” (CoS 68)
Potion Master's Pickle Jars
- 2.2 lb. cucumbers (small will work best)
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 onion large
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 Tbsp. mustard seed whole
- Peel cucumbers and cut lengthwise into halves.
- Scoop out seeds and discard.
- Slice cucumbers into smaller pieces.
- Coat cucumber pieces with salt and let rest in refrigerator overnight.
- Chop onion into pieces equal to that of the cucumber. Set aside in airtight container until ready to pickle.
- Combine sugar, white wine vinegar, water, salt, mustard seed, and optional spices in saucepan.
- Boil mixture for three minutes.
- Rinse salt from cucumbers. Layer the cucumber and onion in sanitized jars as desired.
- Carefully pour brine into jars, covering veggies but leaving about 1/2" of air at the top of the jar.
- Seal jars, place upside down, and allow to cool completely.
- Store pickles in refrigerator. Allow to rest for 4 days before eating.
- Additional spice suggestions: fresh dill, cinnamon stick, allspice, ground cloves, crushed red pepper flakes, ground ginger
- To learn more about pickling and preserving vegetables, check out Step-by-Step Pickling by Ball.