19 Moments You Encounter When You Read a Lot of Fan Fiction
If you know, you know.
- When someone asks “What books are you reading right now,” you can’t remember the last book you read because you spend so much time reading fan fiction.
- Sometimes you find yourself forgetting the plot of some of the actual Harry Potter books because you’ve read so many pieces of convincing fan fiction that switch things up.
- There are moments when you start thinking that fanon characterizations are better than the actual canon characters.
- You stay up all night reading a new 200K-word fan fiction.
- When you have to get ready for work/school after not sleeping, you think to yourself, “Was my lack of sleep worth it?”
- Yes. Yes, it was.
- You do it all over again a few days later.
- Epilogue? What epilogue?
- You remember when fruit was used as a rating system.
- You firmly believe that Wolfstar is canon.
- You are correct.
- When asked about your completely correct beliefs, you just pull out some of your favorite fics to prove it.
- You may have a few OTPs, but there are certain characters that you are just not picky about who they’re paired with. I will read Harry paired with anyone, but Remus and Sirius are meant for each other.
- For a while, you were really into reading fics that worked in the crazy fan theories that used to float around, like that Ron was a time-traveling Dumbledore or that Crookshanks was really Regulus Black in disguise.
- There were some authors who really made a convincing argument – like, a really convincing argument.
- You’ve read hundreds of novel-length, beautifully written stories, but you also have a special place in your heart for the crazy, chaotic, and just plain weird works of fan fiction that are out there.
- You’ve used dozens of different hosting sites for reading fan fiction – LiveJournal, Xanga, Fanfiction.net, Schnoogle, Fiction Alley, MuggleNet Fan Fiction, Sugar Quill, The Quidditch Pitch, and so many more.
- You’re not ashamed to admit that Archive of Our Own was the best thing to happen to fan fiction readers and writers.
- So many crazy things have happened on this side of the fandom, and you’re so happy to be a part of it.
Want more posts like this one? MuggleNet is 99% volunteer-run, and we need your help. With your monthly pledge of $1, you can interact with creators, suggest ideas for future posts, and enter exclusive swag giveaways!
Support us on Patreon